Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I HAVE A STEPMILL 5000 PT AND IT WILL ONLY GO ONE SPEED,

Customer Question
I HAVE A STEPMILL...

I HAVE A STEPMILL 5000 PT AND IT WILL ONLY GO ONE SPEED, WIDE OPEN LOL. CAN YOU HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT MAY BE WRONG WITH IT? THE SPEED CONTROL BUTTON DOEST SEEM TO WORK.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your equipment?

STAIRMASTER STEPMILL 5000 PT

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your equipment? What have you tried so far?

NOT SURE HOW LONG, I JUST PURCHASED FROM SOMEONE. I HAVENT TRIED ANYTING ON IT

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

THATS ALL

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It powers on and the control panel seems to be working as it should. The speed control doesn’t work and the stairs go as fast they can go with speed control on 30 or 100, there is no difference. The stair lock button works too.
12/30/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still do

How old is the machine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no clue I just bought it. Read through what I’ve already sent and it should answer most of your questions.

Unfortunately, the machine will need to be looked at by a certified technician.

What is your zip code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
37363

This is rare but I am not able to locate any treadmill/exercise equipment places in your area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me how to fix it or what to check? I’m skilled in mechanical engineering, just need to know where to start.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or a wiring diagram would be perfect

Unfortunately, that model is discontinued so finding parts for it that will fix the issue will be almost impossible even if you are able to locate the internal issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have any idea of what may be wrong with it?

It could be a loose wiring, a sensor issue, a controller issue, etc.

There isn't a way to tell without being on site to test it properly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me where to start diagnosing the unit? Do you have a manual for it or something of that nature?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome and even though that doesn’t say its for the 5000pt will it work as a guide?

Yes, it will.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So from your experience with these machines, do you have an idea of what could be causing the speed control not to actually control it? The buttons on the display work as they should and the speed number that displays shows up good and works as it should. The stairs just run away once you get it going.

You may have a belt and deck problem. Test by the following procedure:

a) without the power on stand on the walking belt
b) push the belt in the direction it normally turns
c) if the belt is very difficult to turn (on most treadmill) this means that you have high belt/deck friction. On occasion, you may have already damaged the DC board if you have high belt/deck friction. If the belt walks freely, you have a different problem.

2. If it passes the belt/deck checks, you may have a DC board output problem. If the belt tests ok and you have a speed variation, try this test:

1. Set the speed to 2.5 MPH. Let the treadmill run without anyone on the belt. Check to see if the speed is constant or if there is a variation.
  2. If there is no variation, step on the belt. If the speed slows down or speeds up, you may have an output problem on the DC board. This is the board that connects directly to the motor.

3. You may have a short in the motor. If you turn the machine on and have erratic speed, you could have a problem in the DC board or the motor or both. With a simple multi-meter, you can test on the continuity scale to see if you have a closed circuit between either DC motor lead and the common earth ground. You should always have an open circuit.

4. You may have a speed signal problem. Your controls on the upper panel send a signal to the lower electronics to help them set the appropriate speed. If there is a problem in the signal generator, the communication links, or in the feedback links, you will have erratic speed operation.

1. Communications test- Look on the board for a flashing signal as you increase speed on the treadmill. Most boards have a signal feedback test light. If a LED flashes, your communication is ok.
  2. Feedback test- If your unit is equipped with an optical feedback (disk inside a sensor) you can swap the feedback unit with the incline (it is the same part on many Icon machines). If it tests ok, you don't have a problem here. If it is a magnetic feedback unit, you can test continuity with a multi meter or replace with a new part to test. Many times passing a kitchen magnet in front of the signal will make a speed display on the console if the magnetic sensor is good.

Signal Generator- If you have a problem with the signal generator, your speed will be erratic with either a person on the machine or without a person on the machine. You may even get a speed error code from the unit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The test procedures you sent me are for a treadmill. Is it the same for a StairMaster stepmil?

Same concept yes

Harry, Engineer