Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

Yesterday my ProForm 400e would speed up and then slow down…

Customer Question
Yesterday my ProForm 400e...

Yesterday my ProForm 400e would speed up and then slow down and would completely stop. I am thinking it needs lubricated but not sure. I have been using almost reli

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your 400E? What have you tried so far?

Religiously twice a day for 3 months and previously stored in a garage for 5 years. Just yesterday. I have adjusted the belt it was off center. A friend suggested baby powder and now thinking that was a bad idea if need to use oil

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: Matthew, Technician replied 1 month ago
Matthew
Matthew, Technician
Experience: 20+ years in Electronics, Mechanical, Service, Repair, Customer Service, Quality Control, Document Control, and Maintenance w/ 10+ in fitness equipment. All brands/models
Hello- I am sorry to hear about your issue but thank you for asking our advice. First of all, let me say that you had the right idea about lubricating the deck it to start. But your friend’s idea of using baby powder was horrible. There are sprays and liquids (gel type) that are available to lubricate the decks and they are the best solutions for lubricating Proform decks. The reason you do not use baby powder is because the baby powder gets pushed into the motor compartment by the rotating walk belt and sucked into the motor and destroys it.From the description of your symptoms, one of 2 things may have happened...1) from storing it for 5 years, your motor lost it’s magnetic charge or its brushes are corrupted. That leads to it not rotating at full blast, loss of power, and complete motor shut down or 2) the motor control board (the board that controls the motor) has gotten defective or corrupt.But the fact that it actually started before, just with fast/slow speed, then full shut down, leads me to conclude that the motor has had it due to lack of use.
You can always test it by using a cordless drill battery. You can unplug the leads from the motor to the board
touch the neg on the battery to neg motor cable (pos to pos). If it spins, you may have a bad board. The best option is to test the motor with an ohm meter but not everyone has one.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I have friends that I believe can help me with the ohm meter. I will start with that and blow out the powder. I have some lubricating spray that will be here tomorrow AM.
I get a feeling your motor is kaput. Unfortunately, those treadmills have a motor warranty of only 3 years. If you still want to repair it, you may be able to get a motor cheaper at fitnessrepairparts.com. Cheaper than at Proform that is.
Yeah the ohm meter test is simple. You check for resistance (ohms) between the positive and negative motor cables...and the resistance should be in the teen (ohms). If the meter shows high resistance, or all zero, or infinity...it’s a dead cause.
Most of these treadmills have a speed calibration sequence you can try first (hopefully yours is the same) so you can test the speed without taking it apart yet. Here is a descriptive link. Try it...if it gets you in, but the motor doesn’t turn while you are increasing the speed (but the display shows your speed is increasing), your motor is definitely bad. If your motor works during calibration...then you may have a board issue. Worst case, if the Calibration mode does not apply to your particular treadmill, you can try my other motor tests instead. Here is the link to calibration mode: https://support.proform.com/speed-calibration/I wish I could physically be there to help you...Please remember to keep me assusting and answering by accepting my answers and leave positive feedback if you feel I did a good job for you.
Matthew
Matthew
Matthew, Technician