Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I am wondering if I can get help diagnosing my Proform C970…

Customer Question
Hi, I am wondering...

Hi, I am wondering if I can get help diagnosing my Proform C970 treadmill

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your C970? What have you tried so far?

I have had it sitting in my garage for about two years. The problem is, the control seems to have a life of its own. it stops, then goes, then it changes speeds without any input.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

Are parts available for this machine still? If not, it may not be worth our time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
12/23/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: J.T., Technician replied 7 months ago
J.T.
J.T., Technician
Sitting in a garage is about the worst place for anything with electronics, and being that it's a low Quality brand like pro form, save your money and a headache of fixing it...
Your bearings are most likely rusting as well.
This is my first time asking a question on your service site. I was not sure how detailed I needed to be with the first person I communicated with. Here is a fuller explanation: First of all, it is a heated garage so I don't think that rust is the issue. Secondly, I moved it to the garage (from the living room) because of the malfunction I described at first. Even now, there are days in which it works fine. Other days it starts acting up. I am willing to invest some time and money in this one if it is worth it because I dread moving it out again and the cost of a new machine. I myself suspect the controller being defective but I need the opinion of an expert like yourself.
Jose
If the speed is not constant then yes you will need a controller, but there's a reason the controller went bad. Most likely the belt and deck have never been lubed. Again it's not worth investing any money into any pro form Treadmill. If you don't want to spring for a good machine then just go to Walmart and buy the 199 Treadmill and use it til it breaks and get another one.
OK, I get it. I will think about buying a new machine. Do you know how much the charge will be for consulting with you?
I just deal with the questions, contact customer service, we have 100% satisfaction rating. Thanks!
Exercise Equipment Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

J.T., I talked to customer service and it seems that I need to pay the full amount even though we did not get into an in-depth diagnosis on my machine. If I am going to pay the full amount, I would like to have you walk me through a step-by-step diagnosis to determine what component is defective in my machine. I still think that if I can get the machine working for under $200 it still makes sense to me.

As JT mentioned, it will not be a cheap fix and it is not worth fixing.

I understand that being in the middle of a holiday weekend this may not be possible until sometime on Tuesday. That is OK.

OK, let me be clear. I don't feel good about paying $26.00 just to be told to go and buy a new machine. I suggested to customer service that I would be willing to pay half of the price for your time up to this point. However, if I must pay the full amount, I would like to find out (through a step by step diagnosis) what is wrong with the machine. I will be the one determining whether it is worth fixing or not.

OK, JT will reply back when he is free to explain a step by step diagnosis.

It has been two days and I am still waiting for my step by step diagnosis

I have sent a message to JT

I don't have to rate your answer, correct?

No, the rating should be completed when you are finished or the issue is resolved.