Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

Pro form 4.0 rt. Pedals slip when resistance increases. Can…

Customer Question
Pro form 4.0 rt...

Pro form 4.0 rt. Pedals slip when resistance increases. Can cause it by applying more force, i.e., pedaling hard. Belt is tight. Crank bearings feel and look good, crank shaft spins true, tight, no wobbling or grinding. Suggestions...

Technician's Assistant: When did you first hear this sound?

It isn't a sound, bike has been used sparingly over summer and worked well last spring. First time riding, pedals started slipping

Technician's Assistant: When was the equipment last serviced?

Couple years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
12/15/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: J.T., Technician replied 8 months ago
J.T.
J.T., Technician
Hi if the belt is not slipping then you need a new hub assembly, or sometimes called flywheel assembly. That's the small metal pulley that the belt rides around. You can order one from fitnessrepairparts. Com or Treadmill doctor. Com
I am sorry but your answer is not clear. The cranks turn the larger wheel. I can apply manual strong force and make the large wheel spin, while turning the belt. When the pedals "slip" the flywheel does not turn, although the large wheel the cranks are attached to does turn, the belt is NOt slipping. Does the flywheel or hub assembly refer to the bearing in the center of the flywheel? The parts diagram in the owners manual does not list that as a separate part. Thanks
I pulled the flywheel off, bearings are good. There is a silver colored flange in the cast iron flywheel that the inner resistance part (round with multiple magnets) fits in. This metal is cracked. Could that be the issue?