Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

Error 2 14 mother board is new. Technician replaced mother…

Customer Question
Error 2 14...

Error 2 14 mother board is new

Technician's Assistant: Is the error code still there after the machine is unplugged and restarted?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When was the equipment last serviced?

Technician replaced mother board about 6 months ago

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
12/13/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: Matthew, Technician replied 4 months ago
Matthew
Matthew, Technician
Experience: 20+ years in Electronics, Mechanical, Service, Repair, Customer Service, Quality Control, Document Control, and Maintenance w/ 10+ in fitness equipment. All brands/models
What model, brand?z
Trotter CXT
Ahhhh an oldie , but reliable unit. They don’t seem to make them that well anymore, huh? I can see why you would want to repair it.I can do a little more research in the morning, but can you please answer a couple more questions so that I know which direction to look?1) you said a tech replaced the mother board. When you say that, are you referring tonthe cotroller board down at the bottom that controls the motor? Or the upper board on the console (the brain of the operations)?2) What was the issue before they replaced whichever board and did replacing the part actually fix it even if temporarily?3) Was it running well before the part replacement?4) I’ve seen error codes in the single digits (1,2,3, etc) and I have seen error codes in the hundreds (100, 200, 300), but I don’t ever recall error code 214 (does not mean it has not come up, just that I don’t remember it). Are you certain it is error code 214??Thanks
its 2 space 14, didn't work after sitting, mother board along bottom rail replaced. No voltage to capacitor
it did work temporarily after the mother board was replaced
Perfect answer. I will take out my fat binders in the morning and get you a few things to check and see if we can get you back on track again. Thanks for the response and for your patience.
thanks Matthew
I have one more question...does the machine actually run for a few seconds before error 2 comes on??
Or does it run at all before the error?
No, it does not run, just counts down... then error code
I found out that error 2 (with some belt movement before the error) and no weight would be caused by a bad or worn belt and deck.If there is no belt movement before the error code, the issue seems to be either a bad capacitor (you’d have to test the capacitor with an ohm meter).The next possible critter (if no belt movement)could be the treadmill’s choke.The last item could be a bad on/off switch (but that is unlikely)
the choke and the cap are the main things I see that could be causing you issues. Short of those two, the worst case scenarios would be the upper console electronics/brain not regulating the voltage distribution or a bad motor.The reason I say worst case is because I don’t know if they make those upper electronics anymore. Or if anyone has them available and because the morors are expensive. At that point, it may as well be time for a new treadmill. By the way, there are ways of testing the choke, motor, and cap with just an ohm meter online if you need help with that.I know it’s tedious and wish I could help more, but there is only so much we can do in writing. Good luck and I wish you the best on this project. Regards
There is no volyage going to the capacitor
Are you able to test the resistance on the capacitor? The ohms should start out low...and work it’s way down to “infinity” ohms.
Have you tested the motor either through ohms check?
It’s almost starting to sound like the only reason you are having an error 2 is the fact that it is not moving (error 2 is underspeed code). That means that you need to find the reason it is not moving obviously. So testing the motor is the next logical step to rule it out.
Matthew
Matthew
Matthew, Technician