Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

We have Life Fitness treadmills at our gym with built in…

Customer Question
We have Life Fitness...

We have Life Fitness treadmills at our gym with built in TV's. the tv's are wired through the floor to a main system for the cable. cable co switched from analog to digital and now TV's won;t work. what would be a goodleast expensive solution?

Technician's Assistant: What Life Fitness model do you have?

I'm finding out...

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Life Fitness? What have you tried so far?

95te is model

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
12/4/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me who the cable company is? That will be the biggest factor in dictating what options are available to you

Spectrum (used to be Time Warner)

Thanks for confirming,

in virtually all markets, spectrum/tw has transitioned to not only digital, but to encrypted channels as well.

IF they are still providing a clear qam signal, then it would be possible to buy a small converter box for each one (around $30) and use that for picking up the stations.

If not, and they are using all encrypted qam signals, then the only option is to get a cable box from TW for each tv, if you want the channels to be controlled on them individually.

I would recommend calling your local spectrum office to ask if they have basic cable channels available that do not require a box, and if so, then I can help with the converters you can purchase if you'd like to go that route.

Another option would be to get a few cable boxes and set them to a few specific channels of your choosing (the most popular ones for your clientele) and then feed those into a modulator which could then rebroadcast to the individual tvs and give them some choice of channel. That is the most complex option, and the cost goes up for every channel you want to add.

Why can’t we get a converter that connects to cable box?
Spectrum wants to put a converter on each treadmill and rewrite everything

Do you have cable boxes now?

That is what I was suggesting as one of the options, that they would need to provide a box for each tv.

I believe so

Where are your cable boxes currently? One connected to each tv? Or all somewhere else in an office?

i believe all the tv's are connected to one cable box

Okay that is a different type of converter then, and TW is no longer offering that to you as an option, which is an inherent function of the changeover to digital. They will have to provide you with a box for each individual tv, as they were suggesting.

The other option would be to get a few boxes for specific channels and a distribution system to send those few channels to the tvs.

Spectrum wants to charge us a considerable amount of monet to rewire. can they do this or is this our responsability?

You could replace the wiring on your own,

you must have old rg59 wiring in place and it needs to be replaced with RG6 to be compatible with the new signal,

you could do that yourself if you have the ability to do so. Is there conduit in place to pull new wire?

That could be an option for you then if you wanted to do so.
By the time you buy the cabling, connectors, and termination tools, you may not save much, but that is up to you to decide. I can help with the parts you'd need if you want to go that route.

i dont think that something that we want to do ourselves.
there are no wireless options?

Not really, other than a wireless box option that may be available through TW.

Other providers like dish and directv have wifi based options, but those get to be quite costly as you're usually looking at ~$10/month per receiver.

If you don't necessarily need live tv, you could consider putting a a roku or fire tv device on each and letting the users stream apps on it like netflix, amazon, etc.

Actually on that same thought, in many markets spectrum has a roku/fire APP that you can use, to allow streaming of content via that device. For this to work your treadmill tvs would need a hdmi port though.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.