Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

I have an Ironman 220u exercise bike that seems to have lost

Customer Question

I have an Ironman 220u exercise bike that seems to have lost resistance. What are my options to repair?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its about 7-8 years old I guess and its an Ironman 220u
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't used it in like 3-4 years. I simply plugged it back in and I cant get any resistance despite using the display to control up?
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Rusty replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 7 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?
*This is an inquiry to see if you still need help. I'm here to help when you're ready. Due to the nature of the problem, it may take a few tries back and forth before we finish the troubleshooting and fix the problem. First, try unplugging it from power, or remove the battery for 5 minutes. Return the power, and tell me if you see any improvement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah I tried unplugging it, but there is only an internal battery or more likely no battery at all.
Expert:  Rusty replied 7 months ago.

I don't think that unit has a battery, now that I look at it. There is an electromagnet that causes resistance. It's possible that the magnet has become misaligned, or the wire has come loose so that power cannot be applied to the magnet. Check for loose connections on all wires that you can get to.

Click here, this is a very useful article as to how the resistance works, and how to get to it on many bikes. Let me know if you have any questions. These are sometimes very simple repairs, and sometimes not so much. The bike isn't dead, but the magnet has a problem.