Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

My treadmill will shut off after I am on it for about 5

Customer Question
minutes. I've checked the...
My treadmill will shut off after I am on it for about 5 minutes. I've checked the power source and it is not problem. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be helpfull. I purchased it at Sears. PROFORM 495 P1 COOLING BREEZET. Thank you, ***** *****
JA: What's the exact make and model of the treadmill?
Customer: PROFORM 495PI PURCHASED AT SEARS
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I HAVE TRIED UNPLUGING IT THEN PLUGGING BACK IN.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: COULD IT BE THE MOTOR OR THE ELECTRIC PANEL
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/5/2017
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

So if it only stops after 5 minutes, it might be owing to the belt being too tight, straining the motor, and overheating it or circuits to the point where it shuts down protectively.

I hope it isn't worse. But try that, and see whether it helps. Let me know, in Reply To Expert, so that I may close the case, or give you further advice, as appropriate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do you buy the special lubricant

Readjusting the tension would be vital in the short term.

I am looking up the info requested and will post again in 5 min.s or less.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do you putchase the lubricant

Here's one with a cost up-front (before S&H and/or tax) of less than $5:

http://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=251596718619&ul_noapp=true,true&chn=ps&lpid=82,82

And here's others:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/219168/0006/831.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=219168&sid=SPDxGPROD&gclid=CPfnzs35q9ECFVtLDQodNqkMeg

for less than $5 up-front price, and there's

https://www.proform.com/accessories/treadmill-accessory-kit?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=TMAK213&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Core%20Brand&c3api=4075,121493724968,

for about $25.

...and also, here are these instructions from ProForm themselves on how to apply the lubricant:

https://support.proform.com/lubricating-the-walking-belt/

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech