treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

I have a new NordicTrack grand tour bike but the pedal

Customer Question

I have a new NordicTrack grand tour bike but the pedal resistance is ridiculously hard on the lowest setting. I've tried to get them to replace it or repair but they instead decided to refund my money and said keep it. I work out 3 weekly on an elliptical and bike at 24 hours so I know the setting are faulty. I trying to adjust the reed switch to see if that will help ease the resistance but the instructions aren't very articulate if that is even the problem....
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: brand new out the box...Model NTEX71015.1
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: there's a total of 5miles on the machine....tried adjusting the belt and that didn't affect resistance. so I thought its related to the magnetic resistance?
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

They refunded your purchase price but let you keep a defective product? that is very rare.

Have you tried doing a reset of the console, at least? it should be tried, once, or twice at most.

Have you checked that the belt is loose enough? it should be adjusted just a little tighter than loose enough to slip a bit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried resetting the console a couple of times and it had no affect. The belt is tight- whether its too tight- is questionable- but it still doesn't seem to have that much affect upon the resistance which is the problem. I've had friends test it and its obvious them that a setting of 1 should make anyone struggle. Nordictrac's live chat told me it was because it was new which is absurd.do you know what the reed switch will do I can adjust it since it seems like it would affect the magnetic resistance?

Where is the reed switch you are speaking of (as if its location and identity were obvious... I am sorry to say it is not obvious to me from here...) ?

The belt may, upon second thought, not be crucial to the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The manual is online and shows where the reed switch is located on page 33. Its appears to be the only piece on the equip which regulates and adjusts the magnetic resistance but adjusting it doesn't appear very clear in the instructions.

Perhaps that reed switch is stuck shut.

Give it a tap, try to see if that unsticks it. (Don't break it, though.)