Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am getting an error code SE on Nordic track treadmill,

Customer Question

I am getting an error code SE on Nordic track treadmill
JA: What's the exact make and model of the treadmill?
Customer: Sorry can't find manual.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: C1500
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Quadflex
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It goes right to 6th speed and you cannot change it.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That might be one of several problems: the motor controller board for the belt motor could be defective, controlling wrongly, or the console could be semi-inoperative where speed control is concerned. Also, a button on the console could be stuck down, if 6th speed is the maximum speed setting: that would be the 'speed increase' button on the console in that case.

But 'SE' means speed error, most probably. And that is likely to be the motor controller board for the belt, or just possibly the speed sensor.

Would you like to do work on this treadmill yourself, or would you prefer to hire out the repair work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would prefer to do it myself. I am not sure if there is someone local in Elkhart, IN to fix it. Do you think it is the panel? I have pulled the magnet out and put it back in place. Is the magnet black wheel or the silver button on the wheel?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not convinced it is a stuck button. It was working on and off. I have removed the panel to check the connections. That sometimes helped.

I'm glad to hear that you feel up to the task yourself.

The magnetic safety key, when absent or when not working, should not permit the belt to move at all. That's what it's for.

Is the magnet black wheel or the silver button on the wheel?

I'm not sure what you mean. Please repeat in other words, or explain a bit more.

I have removed the panel to check the connections. That sometimes helped.

Do you mean the control panel, and its connections?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the control panel and reconnected the quick connects.Inside where the motor and belt are covered there is a black wheel and a magnet with a wire. In the manual it says to make sure the magnet is aligned and 1/8" from the wheel. Not the safety magnet on top.

Did you do the reconnecting of the control panel connections, while it was On? that can be a bad idea, by the way, if so. But if so, you undoubtedly stirred up the circuitry something considerable, at least.

Yes, the magnet on the wheel will have to pass very close to the sensor with the wire, as the wheel inside rotates, in order for the speed sensor to trigger and work correctly. Ideally the thickness of a credit card should separate them, at closest.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was doing this before the panel was removed. Yes it is always unplugged when working on it.The magnet is about a credit card away. It isn't lined up exactly but they do cross about 50%.

they do cross about 50 %.

That's 50 % of what, please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The area of the magnet and wheel that are aligned.

The sensor should be exactly opposite the magnet on the wheel, when the wheel has turned to the point where they are closest together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They aren't. I will have to work on it tomorrow. How do you fix it?

Loosen the mounting screws on the speed sensor, so that you can move it about. Then move it to where it is closest / most aligned with the magnet when the magnet is closest, and then tighten the mounting screws on the speed sensor to fix it in place that way.

That should fix the problem, hopefully.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That didn't work.

Then it isn't alignment.

It might still be a defective speed sensor. Measuring across it, while rotating the magnet to near it and away from it, with a voltmeter, should show a drop in resistance (the switch in the sensor closing) whenever the magnet is near it.