Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have the Nordic Track AudioStrider 990 elliptical and the

Customer Question
resistance is not kicking in...
I have the Nordic Track AudioStrider 990 elliptical and the resistance is not kicking in. I opened it up and found that the Eddy motor wasn't engaging, so I replaced that. Now I can see that the magnets are moving to adjust the resistance, but there is still no actual resistance change when I push on the pedals. What else could be going wrong?? Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
8/18/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi Sarah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there an answer to my question or am I being charged $26 for "hi"?

Thanks for getting back to me, you were offline when I responded earlier.

Test the motor, using a 9 volt battery - attach a wire to positive and negative side then touch the wires of the motor- let it run til it stops and then switch the wires around and let it run the other way. If it works both ways the motor is good.

Next, test the harness for continuity from the console to the motor. You will need to use a volt meter to check the continuity. If the wires check ok you will need to check the voltage being supplied by the console through the wires when the resistance buttons are pressed - it should be approx 6 volts. If there is no voltage the console is defective and will need to be replaced.

Let me know how you get on...

Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can check these connections when I get home, but I already know that pressing the console buttons causes the (new) motor to successfully adjust the magnet so it seems unlikely that there is any issue with that part of the system. Somehow the adjustment to the magnet has no effect on the pedals, however.

Ok, let me know if you find any problems with the wiring..

Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I said above, I already fixed the electronics earlier, that's why the signals from the console transfer to the magnet ring and cause it to adjust successfully. The problem was the mechanical transfer of energy between the magnets and the pedals. I finally found a schematic for my system, dismantled the magnets, reset them in the correct place, and now the resistance is translating to the pedals.
Pete, Electronic Engineer