Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a Nordictrack 1250 treadmill which has a noise

Customer Question
problem. The squeaking started while...
I have a Nordictrack 1250 treadmill which has a noise problem. The squeaking started while it was still in warranty but when I enquired as to what the solution to the problem was initially, I was told "just lube the belt, problem solved". I did so, several times & very thoroughly but no improvement. I don't believe the squeaking is actually coming from the movement of the belt but from the springs along the side that do the cushioning (which of course I have also tried to lube, but lubing coils up & down adequately is extremely difficult), as the noise is in time with my footfall & is more or less apparent depending on the incline (related to stability of the track, I imagine?). What can be done to fix this issue?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
8/16/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have read what you wrote with some attention.

When you lubricated the running belt, did you do so with silicone lubricant especially meant for a running belt?

If so, good. But, did you also adjust the tension of the running belt?

(It should be adjusted so as to be just a little tighter than loose enough that it slips when you run on it... so adjusting it properly is a matter of a little tighter (than too loose), try it again, a little tighter, try it again, and so forth until it ceases to slip.)

Is the treadmill in question still within warranty?

Note: the squeaking, if it is not the belt itself, and if it is not caused by the belt being adjusted too tight (so if it might be, adjust the belt looser, then use it awhile and see if the squeaking is significantly lessened)... then you might be able to use normal lubricant on the 'springs'... provided that they do not shed oil or grease-based lubricant onto the belt's edges, which will rapidly fray and rot away if grease or oil gets on the belt's edges.

Let me know what you think of this, in Reply To Expert, and I will instruct you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In all honesty I wouldn't have a clue how to adjust the tension of the running belt & even if I did I wouldn't necessarily be inclined to do so when I really don't think the belt is the problem at all. I feel this could create a problem that wasn't there to start with. Of course I could be wrong but having seen other treadmills with a squeak that IS related to the belt, I still feel that the noise in my case is from the exposed metal springs scraping in & out of the metal frame as the track is compressed with each footfall. Maybe it is a design flaw with these particular models. While I am open to trying any potential solution you have, I want to be sure that I give you a clear picture of the problem first so I don't "fix" what's NOT broken.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I forgot to mention that it is no longer under warranty. And yes I did use the recommended silicone lube.

OK.

Adjusting the belt is occasionally necessary. Despite lubrication, belts sometimes shrink up with age. In which case, occasional loosening is needed.

There's a hex adjustment key that comes with the treadmill. It generally fits into a hole near the part of the treadmill that you face away from while you are on it. You turn it in that hole, to adjust the tension of the running belt. (Your model may differ, of course.)

As for lubricating those springs... springs will squeak, if you're using the treadmill heavily, and/or if you're a well-built bodily type.

If those springs are well-separated from the running belt, not adjacent to it either as the belt passes on the upper side, nor adjacent to it as the belt passes on or near the lower side of the running platform, then lubricating them might be the first thing to try. A grease lubricant for moderately heavy machinery, applied to the upper part of the springs, might help - provided that there also is no rubber gasketing nearby in this model, otherwise the grease might get on the rubber gasketing and decay it.

Does this answer your question adequately and completely?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not really. I think knowing the model is pretty important.

OK. Would you prefer that I cede this case, in favor of an Expert here with specific experience in dealing with your specific model?

That can be done, and it will involve no additional expense if you receive advice from a second Expert on this question (or a third, fourth, etc... in theory at least. I'm not in charge of pricing or charges in the least, so I am not absolutely sure of this. But a second opinion has never cost a customer anything extra in my experience, which is 7 years long with JustAnswer.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. If there is someone else there who has experience with the Nordictrack 1250 with the exposed springs along the side then that may be more reassuring to me that I am doing the right thing in whatever attempts I make to fix this thing (Which is driving me nuts). The noise is so bad that the body corporate in my building has asked me not to use it outside very limited hours which don't work for me as I am a shift worker. And it's been that way since very shortly after I bought the thing (new on sale for $2000). Help would be appreciated.

OK. I have Opted Out, opening the case to an Expert with specific experience in the Nordic Track 1250.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was i refered to someone else 'cause i have still heard nothing?
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician