Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Want give treadmill to my granddaughter, but when I turn t

Customer Question

want give treadmill to my granddaughter, but when I turn t on everything lights up the console, t none of buttons work. not even start stop.
JA: What's the exact make and model of the treadmill?
Customer: Nordic track 1000ix model nttlo9990
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I adjusted the reed switch.Ichecked to see if I had 5 volts dc off board
JA: The equipment expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Garrey,

Is the safety key fitted?

Have you tested the safety circuit?

What is showing on the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
no I have not tested the safety circuit. how do I test it? all zeros on the display the key is in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i already paid the $26 yesterday. now in order to continue the site has asked me to pay again, so i did, but i expect a refund. i would like to talk to you, because i am not getting anywhere on this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get my message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok got a reply from customer care. I have answered your questions, but have not heard back from you. so not sure where we are.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. We can reply back and forth here on your question page.

You have a voltmeter available - can you check if the safety circuit is deactivated and activated when you fit and remove the safety key?

Could you also attach a photo of the display - how many zeros are you seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete sorry it me so long to reply. I got called away for a while, family stuff. anyway here's what I've checked so far. ran the motor off a battery. motor is good and belt moves freely. adjusted reed switch, but suspect it is not working, so I ordered one. looked at the schematic that came with machine and learned that if you have the 12 v led, on the mc-80 board, but you do not have the speed sig led, it could be a problem with speed pot or pot wire, which I don't understand because there is no wire running to the speed pot. the main thing going on is none of the buttons work on the console. so you can't even run the diagnostics they tell you to run, because it entails using the buttons, which don't work. you will have to explain to me how to check the safety circuit as I don't know how to. I do have a good volt meter. are we talking vdc? hope to hear from you tomorrow. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh every display has zeros straight across console. now when I jumped the motor the speed display did go up accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello again. something else I read on the schematic is that there is a demo mode. when the machine is in this demo mode, all button presses are disabled. it goes on to say you can get out of this mode by pressing the stop button and inserting the key at he same time. of course this didn't work, because buttons don't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you getting any of my replies?? what time zone are you in?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Garrey,

Thanks for getting back to me, I am in the UK.

I was offline when you replied earlier. Sorry for the delay!

Have you already tested the reed switch?

----------------

Try measuring resistance across it and note any change when you bring a magnet close to it and move it away again.

If there is no change, then the reed switch is stuck or faulty and will need to be replaced.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess your saying none of the information in my replies is relevant, and I should concentrate on the reed switch. the info I gave you describes what's happening exactly. are you saying that a bad reed switch will disable all the press buttons?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I think the reed switch needs to be eliminated first, since the display is showing all zero's - this indicates that the console is not getting a signal from the reed switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I am going now to check it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Let me know your findings...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back, I am not an electrician so not sure if I am doing this right. but I don't get any reading. should I be probe on the end of the reed switch and the com probe on the connection where it plugs into the board??
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You should have a probe connected to either side of the reed switch, and then monitor the resistance as you move a magnet close and then away again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got a reading and it did not change when I applied a magnet to it. I took the switch off the motor board to check it
Does it have to be connected to check it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No, the reed switch will work without any connection.

If the reading does not change then the reed switch is defective and needs to be replaced - this is a common fault on these machines.

--------------------
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I had already ordered a new reed switch. should be here tomorrow. i'll replace it and see if it makes a difference. at that time i'll rate your help and submit, so that you can get paid.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That would be great, looking forward to hearing from you!

Let me know if you need anything else at all.

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry Pete switch didn't come today maybe tomorrow. i'd like you to look into a couple of things that I think my be the problem. as I said before the machine came with troubleshooting suggestions. one is to check on what leds should be on.the 2 important ones that I don't have are the PWM on the power board and the spd sig led on the MC-80 motor controller led.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Garrey,

Just checking in on your question...

did the switch arrive yet?

If you don't have the PWM LED on then there may be a fault on that board which in turn is affecting the Controller board;

You will need to test the voltage outputs on the Power Board to confirm if it is working correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
switch just came. I installed it but no difference. still all zeros and none of the buttons work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok please tell me what, where and how to determine if the power board is doing it's job. please. I feel so bad that I told my granddaughter she could have the treadmill, then when I checked it wouldn't run. you'll have to be pretty much step by step, like I said I am not an electrician. thanks. I won't drag this out much longer, if we can't fix it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You will need to check the voltage outputs and ensure they are correct.
I don't have any circuit diagrams available for this particular model, so I'll check if another tech can assist.
Pete.