Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a C2255 NordikTrack - I used it last night with no

Customer Question
Hello, I have a C2255...
Hello, I have a C2255 NordikTrack - I used it last night with no problem. This morning - I turn it on and press a speed to go - the treadmill speeds up REALLY fast then just quits. I've trained for several marathons on this machine - I bought it used so, I'm not sure how many miles are on it - quite a few I would guess. Belt is in good condition. Am I money ahead by just buying a new one or can this be an easy fix?
JA: Sometimes it feels like you can get a real workout just fighting with an exercise machine. ;-) Fortunately, the tech wizards can help, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Have you tried to troubleshoot?
Customer: yes - I need more info on how to do this - I'm not very mechanical
JA: Is there anything else the Fitness Equipment Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so...?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I have a C2255 NordikTrack - I used it last night with no problem. This morning - I turn it on and press a speed to go - the treadmill speeds up REALLY fast then just quits. I've trained for several marathons on this machine - I bought it used so, I'm not sure how many miles are on it -quite a few I would guess. Belt is in good condition. Am I money ahead by just buying a new one or can this be an easy fix?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That problem *might* perhaps be a cheap-enough fix requiring some labor, a few tools and some time.

Sometimes when a belt over-speeds briefly and then stops, the problem is that it has not sensed the speed at which the belt is moving, and has shut down for safety reasons.

And sometimes the lack of sensing the speed, is because the speed sensor, a small component that is mounted near a rotating part of the treadmill's interior parts, which rotates when the belt is moving, has slipped out of alignment a little and is no longer 'reading' the rotating element.

Would you be interested in opening up the treadmill by taking off its cover pieces, and locating the speed sensor, then testing it (possibly with a meter, possibly just by watching an LED light on one of the circuit boards) and readjusting it as necessary?

This might not turn out to actually be the problem, but it is a first thing to try in this case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok - how do I do that please?

OK.

The first step is, unplug the treadmill.

The second step is, locate the fasteners - probably screws - that hold the cover pieces on.

(You may have to turn the treadmill on its side, gently enough, to locate and remove the cover pieces.)

Then you remove those screws, and the cover pieces should come off easily enough. It's the base of the treadmill, where the belt is mounted and revolves, that you need to get at, not the top near the control console, in case it needs be said.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't figure out how to remove the cover - I took out 3 screws - but, it won't pop off....

OK. Which cover are you trying to remove?

Is the machine on its side?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The top cover - like by where my toes go when I run - I'd kick the cover if I walked too far forward - that cover right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was on its side - then I lifted it to try to get it off too - thinking it might be pinched....

That sounds right! what you want to remove is the Motor Cover (part # ***** in this diagram):

http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/diagram/10175

It is indeed held on by three screws, with 'tinnerman clips'. Did the screws come all the way out?

There may be other parts, such as the side pieces on the sides of the treadmill walking area, that are keeping it from coming off. Does that look like the way it is?

(In that diagram, part # ***** a little coil to the left, is the speed sensor ('RPM sensor') that we're looking for.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get the Tinnerman clip off?

They probably slip off by pushing 'downward' so the clip slides off the edge of the cover piece.

With a small screwdriver, for instance, perhaps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tinnerman clips are out of the way but it still won't pop off.

Try removing the side pieces first, to left and right of the belt.

See this diagram for help:

http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/diagram/10176

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took off the sides - it didn't do anything - they weren't connected. It is getting stuck on the opposite side of where the screws were.

I suggest you put the treadmill on its side, and take off the bottom front cover - part # ***** at lower right in this diagram:

which is attached with six (6) screws, part # *****

(Put on the side piece that will be on the under-side, before turning it on its side, though. That might be best, anyway.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still not coming apart

Did the bottom front cover come off at least? part # ***** in the diagram.

Can you give me a picture of where the cover is binding, sticking, or just not coming loose? and post it to your reply?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - neither the top nor bottom are coming off. There are 2 screws that are in a hole so deep and the screw is so small I can't figure out if/how I should remove them.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get the big part up a bit - but it is by the 2 feet that it won't come undone.

You may need a longer screwdriver. Have you made sure you are using the right, straight-blade vs. cross-blade/Phillips screwdriver ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I drew a line around the clip that I think is preventing me from taking off the lid - I don't want to crack the plastic.... how do I undo this without breaking the plastic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bottom part you said I should remove first has internal screws per the diagram so..... there must be someway to remove the top lid first right?

Could you post that photo of 'tread mess' in JPEG format rather than DOCX, please? I have a system where JPEGs are much easier to view than DOCXs, though I can manage it with some labor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how about pdf?

Thanks! OK, I see that I was wrong. There are two fasteners there. That can't be reached from outside.

I honestly don't have more advice to give on this. Disassembly is usually fairly easy - just unfasten everything, and take off the outer covers. So, if you would prefer to wait for another Expert's advice on this problem, let me know, and I will Opt Out, opening the case to others.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please - either that or a refund would be good.

I have Opted Out. The case is that of disassembly of a treadmill, to determine, and remedy if possible, the cause of an overspeed-and-shutdown of the running belt.

As for a refund: I cannot do anything about that except to refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com... you can contact them through

***@******.***.

Thank you for working with me on this matter, and I hope that some of my advice may still prove useful to you. Also, though Opted Out, I can still respond to any further postings to this case, should there be need.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got the hood off (I had to break it bit it's off). What now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No one has responded..... I got the hood off - can anyone help?
Russell H., Service Tech