Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a Golds gym crosswalk 570. Everything works except

Customer Question
the tread will not move...
I have a Golds gym crosswalk 570. Everything works except the tread will not move. It starts, lights come on the incline works but the tread pad will not move
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Fitness Equipment Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Do not know what else to say beyond the tread pad on my Golds gym crosswalk570 will not move, everything else works just not the pad
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fitness Equipment Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
6/7/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume there are no error messages showing on the console.

How old is the Crosswalk treadmill machine in question?

Was there ever any problem with the Crosswalk before this happened, or was it simply that it one day failed to move the walking belt ?

If there is no error message and there were no problems before this, then how recently did you adjust the tension on your Crosswalk's walking belt?

If the tension is not adjusted regularly, to be basically speaking just loose enough to not slip when walked on, then the belt may dry up and tighten up over time (esp. if lubricant is also not applied regularly - note that the lubricant is a special silicone-formulated lubricant, and grease or oil -based lubrication will destroy the belt's fabric, in case it needs mentioning...)

If the belt tightens up for years, eventually it will place stress on the moving parts, and also on the motor. The motor may eventually burn out its windings from this stress, over years.

Your case does sound rather like one where the motor windings have burned out. But! it's possible that it is some other major failure, that could be revealed and treated by removing the covers of the machine and examining connections, parts, indicator lights, etc. The motor controller board, too, can become defective (though the symptoms are usually different from the simply-not-moving case which you are asking about.)

Let me know how you'd like to proceed, and I will help you further with this problem. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was on display at Wal mart and I bought it of the floor with the intention of resaleing it. It say under a covered porch and was wrapped in a tarp. A buyer called so I plugged the in to make sure it worked. The magnetic key was missing so I used a disc magnet in place of the key. Eveything fired up fine but the tread it self did not and will not move

Are you sure the disc magnet is really adequately substituting for a safety key?

(I presume you bought it at a special discount... that could be significant if so - so please tell me, if so.)

Safety keys are designed to either prevent the belt from moving (so that you can get on the machine, then get ready to move, then place the safety key), or to stop it from moving (when you have a safety key with a string on it, and if you fall while using the treadmill, it pulls the safety key loose.)

This function may not even have an error indication in some models... it may simply stop the belt.

Do you see any indication of a change in the display, when you place the disc magnet, or remove it? if there is none, the disc magnet is not working as a safety key at all.

If it is not by all the indications, would you be willing to consider buying a replacement safety key? that would cost perhaps $9, or less.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would really like to you to call me but I won't be home until after 6 eastern daylight savings time
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did buy at half price I think

Right, OK.

Here's several sources for (replacement) safety keys for this model line:

http://www.sportsmith.net/productsearch.aspx?dsNav=N:797567

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111213900210?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Track-Treadmill-Safety-256790-Red/dp/B002YP8OES

I'm honestly not sure which one applies to yours specifically, but there clearly a 'card' variety and then a disc variety.

Let's resume this case whenever convenient to you. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When place the magnet the display lights up, when I remove it the display turns off

Then that ought to be the magnetic safety key function, yes.

And unfortunately the treadmill may have been a 'Display Unit' (not to be test-driven, just to look good as 'the final result if you buy one of our boxed-up units') because it had a severe problem and/or was not fully operational. Rather a disappointment for sure.

The safety key is not the problem, from what you say.

Russell H., Service Tech