Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

Life Fitness 91Ti Treadmill resets during use with a message on the display stating "INIT"In addition...

Customer Question
Life Fitness 91Ti Treadmill resets...
Life Fitness 91Ti Treadmill resets during use with a message on the display stating "INIT"In addition, there is a clicking sound when this occurs (like a relay).I took the cover off, and LED 2 blinks off when the reset occur when the reset happens.When the reset does not happen and the treadmill is running, LED 2 flickers.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
6/6/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that either the power supply is failing, or there is an intermittently shorted component.

Other possible causes:

- flakey console circuitry

- loose connection in console (thus, LED 2 flickering.)

- belt too tight, overheating and stressing the motor, causing overload of power supplied, and restart

(This is only likely if you have not adjusted and lubricated your belt in the last year or two ... the belt can shrink, causing this. The procedure for adjustment, if needed, I can provide... so let me know if that might be it.)

- surges on the power line that the treadmill is plugged into (this can be helped by powering the treadmill through a surge protector, an investment for every electronic device of any value in your household, that always pays off in the long run.)

How old is the treadmill?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Russell,This is a rather old treadmill. I bought it used.What is my next step to diagnosis the issue?

Well, tell me a little more.

- Have you adjusted (and/or lubricated) the running belt anytime lately?

- Has the treadmill been moved, any considerable distance, that you know of, since it was originally assembled?

- Has it been stored in cold, or hot conditions, or conditions with varying temperatures?

- Has it been powered through a surge protector? If not, I advise getting one for it.

Also: do you do electronics repair yourself? despite the above, most likely it will come down to opening the 'mill and getting into it with a meter, and possibly a soldering iron ultimately if a loose solder joint in the console is the cause of the fault (not too likely, but it could turn out that way.)

If not, repair for it would have to be hired out, and some diagnosis also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Russell, please see responses below:
Have you adjusted (and/or lubricated) the running belt anytime lately?
- Have you adjusted (and/or lubricated) the running belt anytime lately? Not in over a year.
- Has the treadmill been moved, any considerable distance, that you know of, since it was originally assembled? Yes
- Has it been stored in cold, or hot conditions, or conditions with varying temperatures? Yes. But for the past year it has been in a climate controlled home.
- Has it been powered through a surge protector? If not, I advise getting one for it. No, but I am getting one.I can use a multi meter. I have a soldering iron and could most likely solder on a Relay or a loose wire.

Good. That sounds more promising.

Can you judge a bad solder joint by looking at it? if so, you might have one in your console.

As for adjusting the belt, even if you don't lubricate it, that is an advisable step to take:

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Russell can you walk me through the process of adjusting the belt. Also, where can I buy the lubricant for this?

This is the lubricant:

https://www.walkingbelts.com/life-fitness-91ti-treadmill/

(The 9.99 items, not the 189.99 items which is the whole belt replaced.)

As for adjusting:

get the 'hex key' that came with your treadmill.

Find the adjusting point at the foot of the treadmill.

Slacken the belt's tension some. Walk on it slowly, see if it slips under your feet.

Slacken it a little more if it does not slip. Walk on it again... once it gets to the point where it is slack enough to slip a little, tighten the tension again just a trifle until it does not slip.

Lubrication itself requires some procedure: you set the mill to running slowly, spread a little lubricant over the belt and spread it around from side to side mostly and a little more until the belt is evenly slightly coated.

For the authentic word on this model, see the manual (if you don't already have it) here:

http://www.manualshelf.com/manual/life-fitness/91ti/operation-manual-treadmills-91ti-90t.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Russell, I will lubricate and adjust the belt.Can you tell me what the "INIT" message on the display means?Can you walk me through trouble shooting what may be wrong with the circuit board etc?

INIT means 'initializing' or 'initialization', I think.

That means, while you were using the 'mill, the circuitry restarted, reinitialized, or something similar.

If the message persists, or sticks, then the restarting failed.

And why did it restart? possibly because of a power supply dropout, a spike on the main power line (surge protection doesn't hurt), or similar phenomenon.

Observing whether the voltages from the power supply measure within spec.s at all times would cover some of the above... unfortunately, I have no information available as to what those voltages are supppsed to be. I hope the terminals on the power supply are marked with voltage level identifying information. ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, so what you would suggest as my first step?

Have you taken the covers off the machine, and located the power supply module near where the power cord goes into the machine?

Russell H., Service Tech