Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My new (used) horizon 5.1T treadmill won't work. The incline

Customer Question

My new (used) horizon 5.1T treadmill won't work. The incline works,the console seems to be working but the belt won't run. I tried resetting it but still the same
JA: Sometimes it feels like you can get a real workout just fighting with an exercise machine. ;-) Fortunately, the tech wizards can help, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Have you tried to troubleshoot?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: after choosing P1 and the incline, when I hit start, there is a very slight click but the belt does not start moving.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fitness Equipment Technician should know?
Customer: it is a used machine, not sure how well maintained it was.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I suspect that the speed sensor came loose. With no feedback from the speed sensor, the treadmill (if its circuitry is sane) will sense a problem and for safety, it will not start, or if running the motor at all, it will shut the motor down immediately.I interpret the slight click as the sound of all that happening in a millisecond or two, a slight twitch of the belt motor at most, and the speed sensor not sensed. The other possible problem is, that the motor windings are defective, therefore, the motor won't run, and the 'speed sensor error' won't appear. This is also possible. The speed sensor is a small element with two wires coming off it and leading to the motor controller board (most usually.) It is located (when correctly adjusted) so as to 'read' a magnet (most often) passing near it as the machine's parts rotate. In other words, it's aimed close to a rotating part of the works that passes quite near it. If that orientation slips, and it is too far from the rotating element, or if the magnet on that rotating element has fallen off, then the speed sensor will never 'read' any motion at all in the works. There are ways to test the alternative: the motor windings being bad. Usually that's done with a voltmeter set to measure Ohms of resistance; measuring across the windings, an open winding reads as infinity Ohms (an open circuit.) A shorted winding reads as very near Zero Ohms, as opposed to the 20 to 200 (very roughly) Ohms of a normal winding's resistance. Do you think you can remove the outer covers of the treadmill, locate the speed sensor, check its alignment, and also test the windings? or would you rather hire out the repair work, or not have the machine repaired at all?Let me know, and I will help you with whatever course you choose. Thanks.