Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an Edge 305 bike computer and I haven't used for 6

Customer Question

I have an Edge 305 bike computer and I haven't used for 6 or so months. I now I can not get my heart rate monitor to show up on the computer. IT just shows an "X" over the little heart symbol. I have changed the battery on the belt that transmits the heart rate, in fact I went and bought new batteries and all that I get on the Edge is an x over the heart symbol. Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem is or if there is something I can do to get it up and running. I have had the Edge for at least 5 years, maybe more, so maybe it is worn out?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I would think it very likely that it has 'broken', with age, given the signs you described so well.But: if the 'computer' is a Windows or Apple computer, you could try uninstalling the Garmin software that interfaces with the heart monitor, restarting the computer, then re-installing the Garmin software for the Edge 305 from scratch. (Don't forget to back up any Edge-related data files that you want to save, first, just in case.) Otherwise... 5 years is a good lifetime, if not by any means the best, ***** ***** sort of device. Well out of warranty for sure. So replacing the heart monitor is probably a good idea. (If 'the computer' is an exercise machine's console, let me know what maker and model, and how you connect the heart monitor to it, and I may have further advice for you.)