Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

All the pacing coach lights are on and the display is blank.

Customer Question
Pushing the buttons does change...
All the pacing coach lights are on and the display is blank. Pushing the buttons does change resistance, turn on the fan, etc.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Pro-Form elliptical. I need to know if there is something I can fix to be able to see the display again.
3/17/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

First, check for any loose cables. Power off the machine, remove the cover, remove each cable connection and firmly re-attach again. Let me know how you get on...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll do that tomorrow. It does bother me that you are a computer engineer instead of the exercise equipment guy with a high school diploma that this site showed me when I signed in. Please be CERTAIN (NOT through Google) that the pacing coach lights do not mean something that can send me directly to the heart of the problem. Thanks.

My skills are in two areas - electronics and computers.

I have fixed and repaired countless elliptical machines, treadmills, and other sports equipment for local gyms :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I finally removed the cover and detached and re-attached each cable. No change. I did notice that a tiny section of the circuit board looks like it may be covered in crumbling plastic. Labeled R81 and R82. (Resistors?) Can you tell me what those do and if they could have anything to do with my problem? I can't tell much and I am unsure if they've burned out or are supposed to look like that. Thanks.

Yes, those are resistors and they are an important part of the circuit.
There should be a value code on them, either markings or colored bands - you can use an ohmmeter to test them and if they are not registering the correct resistance then they should be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I would like is an explanatory diagram of the circuit board. What parts control what? Which wires do what? For all I know the resistors are fine or have nothing to do with the display, the only thing that isn't working. Perhaps the led display is the part I need to replace. I haven't gone as far as looking at it yet.Do you have anything like that?

No, I would not have anything like that - that information would be proprietary to a Pro-Form service center.

Pete, Electronic Engineer