Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I have a Sole F63 treadmill that shows an E1 error on the…

Customer Question
I have a Sole F63...
I have a Sole F63 treadmill that shows an E1 error on the display. I have verified that the motor runs with an external DC owner supply.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
3/5/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi Tim,

First, make sure that the wiring connectors are turned the right way, that none of the pins are bent and that they are firmly pressed together.

If the wiring is ok, then the speed sensor is suspect - the pickup comes from a magnet mounted on the front roller pulley and a speed sensor that detect it. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

• Check the connection between the speed sensor and the controller board. Make sure that the connection is secure.
  • Make sure that the magnet is properly installed on the front pulley. If you cannot locate the magnet on the pulley, order a new magnet.
  • Replace the sensor if suspected as faulty.
Connectors are fine and the treadmill worked for years until one day it would not turn on. Connectors do not get turned around on their own. Speed sensor is fine. I tested it all the way up to the console and when the magnet passes the sensor it becomes a short circuit. I also verified the Vcc voltage at the console input to be just above above 18 volts.Why would the speed senso keep the monitor in the console from coming on since the speed sensor is not a factor until the treadmill motor is spinning. I only get the E1 error as soon as the unit is powered on and the key inserted.

Connectors can become loose over time. Corrosion can build up around the terminals and cause increased resistance. Faulty wiring or bad or loose connections are the most common cause of this problem and should always be checked first.

I have checked all connections and reset all as well. I have also verified that the two VR voltage connections for the incline have the same resistance to the the neutral VR cable, the speed sensor circuit shorts out as the magnet passes the sensor at, verified Ground and power all measured at the console connector. The other connections in there are for fast/slow and up/down signals which I would believe source signals down to the controller board. There is a S/W signal I do not know about.
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have you the ability to take the case or covers off the machine? I think it's obvious that you do... so I think the thing to do at this stage is to inspect all wiring to the console for crimping, severe bending, or other damage.

If none is found, if all the wires look still-OK and likely to be conductive of signals, then you probably have either a defective motor controller board, or else a defective console.

And honestly I'm not sure which is more likely to be at fault. But you've tested the motor, which should eliminate that.

Russell,I am an electrical engineer with my first seven years out of college being a Test Engineer. I have no problem troubleshooting hardware but am limited to a lack of information and a multimeter for now. The price for each of those items is > $300 and I need to localize the issue to one of the two parts. Do you have any service information that can assist in determining the faulty component.

I am not sure I can figure out which of the two is at fault for you, but you have done well so far (of course, with that much going for you from the start.)

Tell me, when the machine is powered up with the covers off, what lights show on the motor controller board, at first and once the machine is initialized, but before it is used?

Then, if you can start using it / moving the parts or the belt, one light ought to flash on and off regularly. Does it?

The only controller board led lit is the power led. The system never initializes when the power is enabled (inserting key) as there is no functionality enabled on the display; the display immediately displays an E1 in the upper region and I have no controls. I can try to manually move the roller to verify if any other leds are toggled but that will have to wait until I get home.

Let me know how it goes, at your convenience. Thanks.

Manually moving the tread results in not LEDs being lit. I did confirm that the voltage on one of the speed sensor pair of wires goes from 5v to 0v when the magnet passes the sensor; since other switch circuits are held to 5V with a ill up resistor when the switch is open I am pretty confident that the speed sensor is working as designed as it will short the line to ground enabling current flow across the pull-up resistor. I have been using a partial schematic from a Spirit Z700 treadmill service manual which appears to be the same controller board as the Sole F63 (same company different name). I am not confident that the incline motor is not the problem (from data on the web some treadmills with a E1 error indicate an incline motor issue) but I do not know what to expect from the 3 signals controlling that motor. I read one signal and the comman at 5v with the third sitting at 0v from the VR1-3 signals.

In sum, is the sensor working but no LED light changing state as the machine turns?

I do not see any speed repeated led on the controller or schematic.

Hm. If there's no such thing on the schematic, then what LEDs *are* on the motor controller board according to the schematic?

LEDs:
MOT_DRV, POWER, LIMIT, SHUTDOWN, PWM, UP, DOWN (last two not on schematic but the schematic names that section of circuitry up/down but it actually drives the Fast/Slow signal in the connector. I assume it's the Mae circuitry for both as the switches on the handles are identical.
The speed signals come into connector JK2 from the sensor and get routed to JK1 connector which is for the console. No LED associatesd with the speed sensor.

Up or Down in speed, then, understood.

The usual design has a speed-sensor LED included.

So I presume the only LED lit that you've seen is just the Power LED, correct?

Then there's no indicator there as to what's wrong, or where.

To sum up: E1 is kind of a general error, as treadmills generally are concerned.

For a Sole treadmill... the E1 is supposed to be an electronic or electric problem, often in the controller board.

Check that motor controller board in detail, with an up-close inspection, and see if any capacitor is burst, or bulging, or leaking fluid.

Russell H., Service Tech