Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

After attaching the magnetic key the console indicators

Customer Question
light up and there is...
After attaching the magnetic key the console indicators light up and there is a beep.
However none of the console buttons work. No beeps or other feedback.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
2/26/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Cleaning the connectors and reseating them was what I would have suggested - it was the right thing to do first.

Check as to whether this console is the type with a battery hatch on the rear edge or the underside. If so, your batteries may be due to be replaced... a low voltage from any contained battery might cause the symptoms of 'lockup' that your console is showing.

It's alive enough to respond to the magnetic safety key, but can't seem to do anything. So it isn't completely dead, which makes for some doubt still as to whether this is a 'dead console' problem, or a 'dead motor controller board' problem inside the machine.

To judge as to which of these the problem is, I will need to know what the model # ***** your Nordic Track machine is. (Also what might help, is whether it is an elliptical, a treadmill, or some other machine type.)

How old is the machine?

Has it been moved recently?

Have you tried turning it Off and unplugging it from the power for 6+ hours/overnight or longer? I suggest this as a thing to try, esp. if it has been stored in or used in unusually cool temperatures, or high humidity, etc.

Thanks, ***** ***** It's a treadmill, about six years old I think. Rarely moved. Climate controlled room.
Yeah, that's how I was thinking about it too. Perhaps humidity or dirt was to blame.
I sprayed contact cleaner (mostly alcohol) and brushed the connector contacts some more
but nothing changed.Well I was able to recover response on the keys we normally use by unplugging the cable for the incline control buttons.
Perhaps one of those keys are shorted interfering with input scanning process to recognize other keys.
I imagine key contacts bridge an X-Y Cartesian coordinate grid and the short makes it appear as though
one or more keys are permanently closed. Or perhaps the scan current is shorted to ground.
Panel firmware must defend against this somehow. Looks like it just ignores all keys.I really don't know how to isolate the fault further without some schematic including the pin-out.
These kind of buttons with flexible ribbon PC cables are inconvenient to test/clean.
There doesn't seem to be a fault in the connections.We haven't been adjusting the incline much so will probably could just leave that cable unplugged.
I also leave the trainer memory chip board unplugged since that was found to block the boot sequence.
Thanks,
Larry

Where does the cable for the incline control buttons go, at the other end from the console? to a motor controller board, I would guess.

IF so, that controller board may well be where the problem is.

But, what model # ***** ***** treadmill, exactly? or even approximately. I can find an assembly diagram, usually, if I have a model number for the machine.

(If you are done with this case, please rate my answer. Thanks.... glad to hear that some progress is being made toward getting it working.)

Russell H., Service Tech