Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I have a Proform Le tour De France Model #PFEX01312.0. The…

Customer Question
I have a Proform Le...
I have a Proform Le tour De France Model #PFEX01312.0. The resistance feature does not seem to be fully actuating. Is there a fix? Lubrication or something that I can do?
Pat
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/29/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I don't think maintenance will help with the resistance feature not working.

But, what is the problem?

And, is there any error code showing on the console at any time?

Resistance failures are either

1. operator error

2. defective console (unlikely)

3. defective resistance motor controller board

4. defective resistance motor

5. defective linkage (unlikely).

Let me know more about the problem, please.

I have created a number of mapped rides that I use for workouts that mirror my bike rides on actual streets and hills. Lately the mapped rides on the exercise bike are following the mapped course and indicating the grade/incline changes and even adjusting the bikes angle accordingly but the resistance does not change as well to reflect the incline. Also, there is very little resistance to changes into higher gears. When exercising in the manual mode, the resistance will change but only when you get to an extreme incline of 15% to 20% and then its like full on. It seems to be trying to provide resistance but not accurately.

Coarse-grade resistance adjustments, when there are any at all, is the idea I get from your description of the problem.

Was the gradual resistance, and its working along with the mapped grades, formerly working?

that is correct. Yes the resistance and all functions were working fine until just recently. The bike had not used for about six months due to an injury and the problem was discovered when I tried to perform a workout a few days ago. I have not seen any error codes.

Where was the bike stored in the interval of disuse?

And in what temperature/humidity conditions, and was the place dusty at all?

The bike has been in a spare bedroom ever since it was purchased that is heated and cooled like the rest of the house. There is a normal amount of dust in the house.

Good. That means it wasn't a change owing to extremes in the storage environment.

Would you be willing to try a reset of the console (if I can find a procedure for one) that might erase your personal settings, but would set things back to factory condition?

When I first noticed the problem I used the maintenance settings to update the firm ware. However that did not address the problem. So then I used the maintenance settings to restore the settings to the default settings. Again that has not alleviated the problem.

I know this is not a profound query about the problem, but it has to be asked:

- is the machine less than a year old? or less than 2 years old? measured from purchase date.

This was purchased in June of 2014

Then it is out of warranty. Repairs would be at your own expense.

It was well that you tried the console reset. But that and other reasonable things to try, has had no result.

The one last thing to try is calibrating the incline.

Incline has been recalibrated several times in last few weeks. Has not affected lack of resistance functioning.

I have no further ideas on this case (except 'call a repair person' - and if you need a guide to which repair professionals in your region would be competent to work on this type of machine and problem, please let me know your zip code.)

So I have Opted Out of the case, not cutting off communication, but opening it to other Experts in this category in case one takes it up and has more to offer.