Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a several year old NordicTracak T5.7 (model #

Customer Question
*****). Recently, it has...
I have a several year old NordicTracak T5.7 (model # *****). Recently, it has started making a squeaking/groaning noise when it is used with an incline. I can't be 100% sure, but it does not appear to me to be the belt itself (or the belt against the surface of the treadmill), I used to have an older one that did that... that noise was a lot more high pitched and whiny. This happens when the treadmill is fixed at a given incline and as you take each step and put your weight on it there is a fairly loud squeaking/groaning similar to the stairs of an old house creaking as you go up them, but louder and more metallic. I'm not sure if something in the incline mechanism needs to be greased, is broken, or there is something else that is triggered when it is at an incline. When the treadmill is at 0 incline, it is perfectly silent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/27/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

This could be several things. I understand you have ruled out the belt. What I would suggest doing is opening the machine and testing both the main motor and the incline motor. To do that, apply 12-18 v DC directly to the terminals. Then you can find out if the motors themselves are causing the sound.

I would also check the belt for wear though. When on an incline the can be more friction between the belt and the deck and if the belt is worn, it can make all kinds of sounds. If neither of those help, let me know and we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The other thing I have done to confirm it isn't the belt is to simply have the treadmill go to an incline, let it stop at that incline, completely turn off all power, and stand on the belt and just flex my legs quickly without taking my feet off the ground in order to mimic more/less of my weight being supported by the treadmill. Just that action still causes the exact same noise, the belt is completely stationary and none of the motors are running.

Ok, so just the pressure on it when on an incline with nothing running causes the same sound?

What if you have it unplugged when you do that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nothing running, and I just stand on it and vary the pressure/weight i am applying with my bodyweight without moving the belt. I had the safety clip thing disconnected, but I will try again with the power totally unplugged when I get home tonight.

OK... sounds like it would have to be something related to the frame - or possibly the incline motor, even though it's not running at the time it's still supporting the weight. Please see if you can locate what part of the machine it might be coming from.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer