Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

We own a Nordic Track C1500. It worked fine as we had it in…

Customer Question
We own a Nordic Track...
We own a Nordic Track C1500. It worked fine for years as we had it in our garage. This year we decided to move it upstairs into the master.
We did have a hard time moving it due the weight and limited space. I ended up removing the console and uprights to get it up the stairs.
I reassembled the unit and plugged it in. When I turn it on, the treadmill immediately went to a 12% incline and then stopped. From that point it never worked again.
I had an equipment repair tech come in to evaluate and he noticed that the control cable that traveled the upright to the console had been pinched when I reassembled the unit. He couldn't confirm that this was the issue however it was a logical place to start.
I ordered a new cable and reconnected everything and still, the unit does not work.
The state of the unit: It will power up. The red LED on the board lights up when powered. The console comes up and responds with beeps when the buttons are pressed. When I press start, the timer comes on and it responds the speed buttons. In the test mode, I've been able to get to the incline-calibration mode, but other than that I do not know what else can be accomplished in test mode.
My question is; is there any other components or fuses etc. that I can check before counting it a lost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/21/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Michael, Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael
Michael, Technician

Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your Nordic Track C1500?

Also does the incline motor move when you are in the calibration mode? or not?

Thank you

Tech Michael

The machine was purchased in December 2007. The machine does not move in calibration mode.

Thank you for that info.

This sounds just like you have a bad motor driver board. That is easy enough to replace and requires no soldering just a couple of plugged wire clips.

One of the best places to get a new motor driver board is this site: http://www.treadmillparts.com/

They are reliable and fast, usually ship the same day you call;-)

Please call them as they don't list all parts on site: Toll Free Phone: 888-(###) ###-####

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated.

There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Tech Michael

Ok thanks. I will try to give them a call

Your more than welcome, please keep me posted in case you need me further. And please rate my service to you kindly at this time so I can stick with you until this is complete, no cost for rating and you will be able to reach me anytime after then.

Have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael

Hello- I was just informed that when the technicians came to evaluate, they tested the board as good. It was after that they discovered the cable was pinched.

Hi wow thats great news! Its rare but it can happen. Always with these types of electronic devices its always possible that there is a bad connection to blame, especially if the wires get pinched ;-)

BUT...if the cable was pinched and caused a short circuit to the motor driver board, that would likely cause the short and kill that board.

ALso the problem you are getting isn't the motor itself it is directly related to the motor driver board so I would replace that first and if the short didn't damage the motor which I think did not happen you should be in great shape;-)

Please remember to rate kindly so I can stick with you, also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you today.

Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Michael

They said the board was good. From what I read elsewhere, if the red led is solid, then would be an indication that the board was working properly.

Hi yes that is correct, I was just trying to ascertain if that was checked prior to the pinched wires. Make sure the wires all have continuity using a meter. If you don't have one you can get a cheap one for under $20.00 from Radio Shack, Walmart etc. I will help you with the tests.

Please rate kindly So I can stick with you.
once you do that we can also test the motor.

Thanks

Tech Mike

Once you rate my service, I will see that and reply to you immediatly so you knwo how to reach me until we have tis fixed as it shoudl be.

Thank you

Tech Mike

I'm confused. I stated earlier that I connected a new cable.

Hi I didn't see that, sorry.

The cable should be good in this case, the board is showing good, but that doesn't always mean it is ok.

But your next step is to remove the motor and tell me the specs listed on it voltage etc.

Thank you

Tech Michael

I will give you advice on testing the motor as well;-)

Ok. I should be able to remove the motor this weekend.

Hi sounds good,

Please let me knwo how it goes and I will reply to help you along.

Please also rate my service at this time so I can place your question on my priority list. That way we wont lose your question and I will reply to you so you know how to reach me in the future when you are ready to work on this;-)

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Tech Michael

Michael
Michael
Michael, Technician