Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a NordicTrack E 5.7 elliptical. The resistance would

Customer Question
Hi I have a NordicTrack...
Hi I have a NordicTrack E 5.7 elliptical. The resistance would work from 5-20 but wouldn't go below 5. If I manually go below 5 the resistance motor whirrs and the eddy whell clicks. I can see when I manually increase the resistance setting that the little white nylon cable connector in the eddy wheel moves up. I tried to adjust the cable from the motor to the eddy wheel (like on a bike) but made it worse.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/11/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question today.

Great. Did you see that I have an eddy wheel cable tension problem on NordicTrack E 5.7 Elliptical?
There is a white nylon cable connector that goes up and down on the outside of the wheel. When I got it the resistance worked from 1-20. Now only 19-20. I tried to adjust the cable that connects the resistance motor to the eddy wheel but no luck. Then I tried by pulling the cable down from the eddy wheel and the white connector moves. Suck a stubbie screwdriver on top of the nylon to stop the movement of the nylon and then pushed the minus resistance button and the motor rolled the cable up in increments like it should - down to setting 5. Took the screwdrive out and went to 7 then 8 and all of a sudden the nylon goes back to the top
Is there a better way to adjust this? It also make a click click click noise if it doesn't like the resistance setting
By the way are you a fitness equipment tech or an internet researcher? I already researched this on the internet

I am both, but of the two, a fitness equipment tech would be more accurate.

Actually what you did with the screwdriver was the correct adjustment to tension the cable properly. It's not something I would have imagine someone would do based on intuition, but somehow you did - and you did it about as close to correctly as you can. Impressive.

Maybe you are have a latent fitness equipment tech in you as well?

Do you have anything left to do about which you have questions you haven't answered yet?

Hi Michael. Thanks for the complement. Even when I tried to adjust that way it won't go all the way down to one or hold the adjustment if I go from 7 to 11 resistance. It seems to jump back to 19 or 20 and won't go back down to below that setting. The motor tries to tighten the cable but just goes click click click without moving.
Which way should I adjust the cable. More or less threads showing?

How far can you adjust it when only manually adjusting it?

I can tighten it (less threads) almost to only 4 threads showing. Haven't tried more because didn't want to break anything.
It's a turnbuckle with a retaining nut

When it is tightened that much, though - is that when you only have 7-11 available?

At first then only 19-20. Almost like it loses the tension and the nylon cable connector goes back to the top of the eddy wheel
Wondering if that cable is too tight?

IF it goes up to 90-20, then that could be the case.

what do you recommend I do next?

Adjust the tensioner by turning the cam in the opposite direction.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer