Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

Bill nordictrack x7i wont adjustg incline after moving it

Customer Question
Customer: bill nordictrack x7i wont...
Customer: bill nordictrack x7i wont adjustg incline after moving it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure, similar to this - http://www.justanswer.com/fitness-equipment/7fnb8-nordic-track-x7i-incline-trainer-disconnected-wires.html#re.v/462/
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Exercise Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/1/2016
Exercise Equipment Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, when a piece of exercise equipment ceases to work in any particular, just after the equipment was moved, we first of all should check

1. whether it is well and truly put together properly (as far as easily disassembled parts, that might have been moved/removed/changed in position for convenience during moving).

2. whether any wires have come loose or been pulled loose, particularly from the console, but also to and from any motors.

3. make sure that no motion nor position sensors have been knocked out of place. In this case, the incline sensor would be most suspect... but usually a lack of an incline sensor's proper readings does not cause a lack of incline adjusting.

Are any error code(s) showing up on the console, at any time?

No codes are being displayed. When I try to calibrate it goes up for a second and down for a second then I get "calibration failed". I can see the console showing an incline increase but it will not move.
I have taken everything apart and reseated everything with no change. The reed switch was a little far from the magnet so idjusted it closer, no change.

It should be adjusted close enough that only a credit card can fit between it and the magnet, at closest approach. Or on that order of distance.

If calibration fails, it is likely to be an incline sensor that has been knocked loose altogether, or at any rate severely out of alignment.

Is there any way to test the sensor? I have another X7i that I can swap out if I need to. I bought this one to replace my old console but decided to use it without using my old equipment at all. It worked fine when I bought it a few days ago, I made certain.
Suggestions? I have a volt meter and I'm not afraid to use it.

If the sensor is working, then the wires from it should show it as a switch, shutting and opening, mostly open, but shutting when near the magnet. If it shows no signs of shutting (full conductivity across its wires, using the Ohm-meter function when without power, or using the Voltmeter function when powered On and plugged in... in which case, full conductivity would mean 0 volts or near 0 volts, compared to full voltage at a significant level when the sensor switch was Open)... if it shows no signs of shutting or being Closed, then re-adjust it, check it again, and so forth... and after the third re-adjustment, if there is still no sign of its closing at any time, you may assume it needs replacement.

Standby, I am going to work on that switch now. I need help moving it and a friend is coming by. I will let you know what happens.

OK. I wish you luck... however it turns out. Consider my instructions in detail, and work with deliberate carefulness, and it ought to turn out... one way, or the other way, but clearly enough.

Update
The reed switch works fine, confirmed with multimeter. On the new console, I still cannot get it to incline or calibrate, it goes for only a second then back down for a second. Essentially nothing has changed. I have an older console from another brand and it operates the incline fine but to only a 3 degree decline due to it being an older model.
This leads me to believe it is something in the console perhaps, could something have failed with no power to it? Can I check something on the main board?
To be clear, I have 2 nordictrack x7i machines and consoles and another older console from another repair company interested in selling me one of their refurb units. The oldest, non nordictrack console works but far fewer features.
I figured it out.
One of the pins on the main console connector was bent and not connecting. Once I straightened it and plugged it in, it now works fine.

Good work. I'm glad to hear of the favorable result.

(If you are done with this case, please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks.)

How do we take care of the payment in this circumstance? Just want to do the right thing.
Russell H., Service Tech