Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Tried tightening the drive belt on our Nordic track

Customer Question

Tried tightening the drive belt on our Nordic track recumbent bike but it still slips and freewheels intermittently. The belt is very tight and I am afraid to tighten it even more. Any suggestions, it really seems to come and go. It will slip and freewheel several real revolutions and then operate properly for a period
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The 'freewheeling' if intermittent, has nothing whatever to do with belt tension.

Belt tension normally should be just tight enough for a belt to not slip, no tighter.

Loosen the belt again, to that point. Or it will suffer wear and tear, wear out the bearings of the machine, and prove very expensive.

As for the intermittent slippage... the resistance motor (and/or controller board for it) may be ... well, intermitting. Occasionally subject to complete disconnection, loss of control, loss of power, or similar problem.

The machie in question will require repairs, for sure.