Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a golds gym 420 treadmill, it still has electrical

Customer Question
power, the panel still works...
I have a golds gym 420 treadmill, it still has electrical power, the panel still works but the start button doesn't work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
8/17/2015
Exercise Equipment Technician: Freddy M., Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. This sounds like everything is working but the motor is not turning the belt is that correct?
Yeah, thats right, first it wouldnt start, then after pressing the start button several times, it did start, then the next time it just stopped in the middle of the workout and wouldn't start again even after hitting the start button several times. the incline button still works though, and the panel still works, also there was no burning smell like something had burned out, also it stopped slowly like I had hit the stop button, not like something jammed it up or something, I was wondering if there was maybe a fuze that needs to be reset or something or a bad connection maybe or needs a new switch.
There is no fuse that would cause this. Either the motor has failed or the motor control board has. Do you know how to get to the motor? If you do we can test it with a battery.
No I don't
Ok you may want a technician to look at it then. How old is it? Do you happen to have an extended warranty? There should be a panel you can remove to get to the motor.
I can probably find it, what do I do when I find it?
You will need to get a 12-18 volt dc battery fully charged(like one from a cordless drill). It has to be fully charged to work. Attach the + and - to the motor red is + and black is -. If the motor turns slowly your motor is ok, if not the motor is bad and would need replaced. If the motor is ok then your motor controller(the board with the metal) is malfunctioning and would need replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your golds.
I just tested the motor like you said, and it worked, that means I need a motor controller, right, or is it still possible that it could be something else?
Unfortunately that would indeed mean you need a motor control board. The only other possibility would be a loose connection from the control panel. To check that just disconnect and reconnect any connectors that you see. If the same thing happens the motor control board needs to be replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your golds.
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service