J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

I have a Nordictrack treadmill just slightly over a year

Customer Question

I have a Nordictrack treadmill just slightly over a year old. Has started squeaking loudly with every footstep. Is quiet for about the first 2 minutes but then starts squeaking loudly. The right side seems to be slightly worse than the left side and if you move towards the back of the tread belt that seems to help. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Elice
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  J.T. replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Does it make noise if you run the unit and don't walk on it? Also try running the unit and standing on the side rails. Then try stomping on the side rails to simulate walking. Let me know the results thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi J.T. It does not make the noise unless I am actually walking or running on it; just letting it run or standing on the rails doesn't make it do it. When I turn it on it takes several minutes before the noise starts but once it does it doesn't stop as long as I'm walking on it. When it starts it sounds like it's just slightly to the right of center under the front cover but after a little while it's hard to pinpoint it. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  J.T. replied 2 years ago.
OK sounds like a drive belt. This is the belt under the Motor cover that goes from Motor to front roller. Try walking on the machine again. This time try to walk harder and push against the belt like your trying to stop the Treadmill. If the noise gets worse or noticeable right away then it's the belt for sure. You can order a new one from fitnessrepairparts. Com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, pushing against the belt didn't make any difference. I've discovered there are some spots I can step on when it's not running that will make a similar noise. The Nordictrack people thought it might be the "isolators" which as near as I can figure out are the 4 roundish orange things right under the deck. Do you think that's a possibility and if so how do I replace them?
Thanks for your help.
ELice
Expert:  J.T. replied 2 years ago.
Ah OK. Those are basically the shocks. You. May just need to tighten them. You will need to take the two rear end caps off with a screwdriver. Then slide both side rails all the way back until they come off. Then you should see some Allen bolts. Try to tighten them. If they are not loose at all, try to loosen them. Sometimes just adjusting them can fix the squeak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. I won't be able to try it until Friday - Can I check back with you then? I really appreciate all your help.Elice
Expert:  J.T. replied 2 years ago.
No prob I get an Email when you respond.