Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I purchased a used treadmill. Upon first use when using

Customer Question
Hello. I purchased a used...
Hello. I purchased a used treadmill. Upon first use when using the incline the treadmill made a loud noise & sparked. I then realized the treadmill incline would not change. I removed the cover & the incline motor fan sliced a wire to the incline. I purchased a new incline motor & harness replaced & it will still incline but not decline. Is there anything else it could be? If you can please provide some assistance
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
6/1/2015
Exercise Equipment Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. You can try calibrating the incline by pressing both the up and down incline buttons and holding them well turning the unit on. Since it is working, and it should reverse when the voltage polarity is reversed, you may want to try putting it at zero on the console and then manually turning the screw gear on the incline motor so that it's all the way down. Is a manual way of adjusting the incline so that the motor and the console agree as to what his position is. You can test to make sure goes in reverse just by switching the polarity of the contacts on the motor. Mike
I meant to also say calibrating it does not change anything as well. I'm definitely no technician so I don't know what you mean by saying the polarity of the motor.
What I mean by the polarity of the motor is that if you reverse the wires on the motor with the same current applied, it will reverse the direction.
Oh okay when switching the red and black wires it will go all the way down
Okay, so that means that the incline motor is working fine. Now that it is all the way down, try the incline controls again.
The controls don't change anything. It only goes up or down when the connections are reversed to the incline motor. It automatically goes all the way up or down.
Do you have a multimeter are will voltmeter that you can use to test the signals coming to the motor when you adjust the controls? The reason I'm asking is that when you use the controls, this is what should switch the polarity. So if you could use the controls and then while you're doing that measure the voltage, if the voltage does not change then the problem is very likely to be the motor controller board. The motor controller board takes care of sending the correct amount of voltage and polarity of voltage to each of the motors. We know the motors working fine, now we just have to see if it's getting the right voltage the right way.