Exercise Equipment

I have a Horizon CT81 treadmill and the belt drive motor does…

Customer Question
I have a Horizon CT81...
I have a Horizon CT81 treadmill and the belt drive motor does not run. Everything else seems to be OK but the belt motor doesn't run.... Read full answer
I have a Horizon CT81 treadmill and the belt drive motor does not run. Everything else seems to be OK but the belt motor doesn't run.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
2/23/2015
Exercise Equipment Technician: Louie, Technician replied 4 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects :
• speed sensor adjustment / replacement (least likely);
• failed motor (likely);
• faulty controller (most likely).
All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with the use of a multimeter and even perhaps a soldering iron?
I do intend to attempt the repair myself. I have the unit open and have replaced the motor controller. The motor runs when connected to an 18 V battery. I do have a multimeter and soldering iron.
If the motor controller has been replaced (with a known to be good/new board) and the motor tests good with a battery, then neither would be suspect now.
Have you checked the speed sensor?
Can you please post back with a clear closeup picture of the motor and the front roller ?
I will send a photo when I get home. I am at work now.
I understand.
Please see http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0 when able.
Cheers.
Appreciate the image.
Please see if you can adjust the speed sensor closer but not touching the pulley of the front roller.
Additionally, check if there would be a pulsating signal from this sensor to the controller board with the pulley/belt manually turned.
I checked the resistance with my ohmmeter and it does fluctuate between infinity and 0.5 Ohms. Mostly infinity but 0.5 ohms when the metal stud is directly behind the sensor.
I understand.
Next check please; with the CT81 turned on and attempted to be started, carefully measure the voltage to the motor at its red & black wires' connectors at the controller board.
A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.
I cannot get a reading with the motor connected without making some jumper leads and I don't appear to have the propera materials here. I see 3.45 volts with the motor disconnected whether the start button is pressed or not..
I understand.
Perhaps the product at http://tinyurl.com/nhcovhq would help.
I was able to mcgiver up some leads and the voltage is zero with the motor connected. But I can generate voltage by running on the belt and forcing it to turn!!!! Great workout for me but my wife is still not impressed.Any more ideas?My wife refuses to use it this way.I was planning to contact the power company to se if I would get any credit for power generated.She didn't find it funny at all.
Hi again,
Doubtful if it would, the voltage produced by the above is DC whereas the power company supplies us with AC.
Still, the above would point to 2 possibilities then;
• the new controller is faulty (most likely);
• the console is faulty (least likely).
Have you inspected the wiring harness from the console to the controller board?
The wiring harness is in apparent good order. Is there a way to check the signal from the console. What is the signal that would command the belt to start. I would like to determine if the issue is the motor controller or the console.There are several test points on the controller. Do you know what they are for?
Unfortunately, no and no copy of the Service Manual in my current location.
May I inquire why the controller was first replaced? ...and does the console show any error message(s)? ...even just to try with the safety key off?
I ordered and installed the new controller based on previous experience and some online research. If I remove the safety key I do get an error message on screen. SAFETY KEY OFF.
Thanks and very significant as it would appear that the controller is functional.
Another test should you consider; temporarily remove/disconnect the connector of the speed sensor from the controller board and then try again.
Should I expect to get an error message when I do that?I tried that and no error message and no change.We do not appear to be making any progress. Do you have anything else to offer or should we end this?
I offered earlier the most likely possibility that the new controller would be suspect.
Would you perhaps prefer a second opinion?
I am just wondering if there is anything mor that you can assist me with. It seems like we are at a dead end.
As posted above, that there is no output voltage from the controller would make it the primary suspect.
Still, perhaps another member could provide an alternate approach to your concern. The question would be re-opened as I would be opting out.
Thank you for your patience. Please do not provide a rating nor a reply so as to keep the question open.
Good luck with the CT81.
This is not an Info Request.
Thank you for all your assistance so far. Do you fellows have access to wiring diagrams and pin outs?
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a Horizon T700 and it blew the circuit breaker. Reset
I have a Horizon T700 and it blew the circuit breaker. Reset the circuit breaker. Treadmill lights on, when I press strat the treadmill acts like it is going but belt does not move. … read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
We have a Horizon Elite 3.1T Treadmill. When starting,
We have a Horizon Elite 3.1T Treadmill. When starting, everything enters well until pressing START. It beeps 3 times as usual, but the belt does not start moving. All wiring and connections are secure… read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
I have a horizon treadmill, model 5.0T the belt won't turn
I have a horizon treadmill, model 5.0T the belt won't turn everything else comes on elevation and programs run but belt doesn't move … read more
Senior Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
My horizon treadmill CT 5.4 gives E 1 message. Not sure what
Not sure what it is. I replaced the treadmill belt and drive belt it starts but then E 1 message. … read more
Technician,
Industrial Technologist
I have a Horizon CT5.4 treadmill and started intermittently
Hello,I have a Horizon CT5.4 treadmill and started intermittently getting an E1 error message. Some times when I the belt goes to start nothing happens and I get the E1 error message. Randomly some da… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
I have a TC202 model. Recently, after about 20 minutes of
I have a TC202 model. Recently, after about 20 minutes of operation, the track starts to hesitate, n … read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a Horizon treadmill and have lubed the belt, cleaned
I have a Horizon treadmill and have lubed the belt, cleaned everything and tensioned the belt but the running belt is slightly buckled in the center. We have removed the cover to be sure that it isn't… read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
I have a Horizon Elite T4 AFG treadmill with a belt motor.
I have a Horizon Elite T4 AFG treadmill with a Johnson belt motor. The motor stumbles or stutters at slow to medium speeds, it also makes a funny noise when it does this. It still does this with the d… read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
Treadmill's line switched off on my circuit breaker (never
Treadmill's line switched off on my circuit breaker (never happened before). When I switched the circuit back on, the treadmill started up, console lit up, all controls seemed OK - until I pressed "St… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
It's the e1 error message on the Horizon t101 treadmill the
Customer: ***** ***** It's the e1 error message on the Horizon t101 treadmill the treadmill starts and the belt moves, but as soon as i step on the belt, it stops … read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
Hi I sent a message earlier to the treadmill expert my name
Hi I sent a message earlier to the treadmill expert my name is XXXXX XXXXX he can help me now… read more
Technician,
I have a proform DTL92940 treadmill model CS17e, about 8 years
I have a proform DTL92940 treadmill model CS17e, about 8 years old. Never a problem until all of a sudden the belt started hesitating and almost stopping when I make a footfall. Almost threw me off. I… read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
I just purchased a used NordicTrack C2000 treadmill and everything
I just purchased a used NordicTrack C2000 treadmill and everything seems to work OK on it except that when in use, the belt makes a terrible high pitched whining sound. My kids are running around the … read more
J.T.
J.T.
Technician,
I have a Horizon Fitness model CST 3.5 treadmill, serial #TM160-A05080592.
I have a Horizon Fitness model CST 3.5 treadmill, serial #TM160-A05080592. Over the past 3 months I have had numerous problems with this unit and have been in phone contact with several of your custom… read more
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
Technician,
my 2001 Horizon Fitness treadmill got wet and when i turned
my 2001 Horizon Fitness treadmill got wet and when i turned it on the belt went at full speed. I bought a new lower motor control board and installed it, tried to calibrate, gave me an E1 code on the … read more
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
Technician,
I have a horizon elite 4.1t treadmill, I was walking on it
I have a horizon elite 4.1t treadmill, I was walking on it this morning. I heard a pop followed by an electric burn smell. I unplugged the treadmill for several minutes, when I plugged the treadmill b… read more
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
Technician,
I have a Sortscraft TX390 treadmill that has been working fine.
I have a Sortscraft TX390 treadmill that has been working fine. However, now the belt won't turn (the motor sounds like its running per usual, and the tension on the belt seems OK).… read more
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
Technician,
Erratic speed and burning smell are evident despite getting
Erratic speed and burning smell are evident despite getting a new motor just under 6 months ago. My treadmill is for home use and is less than 4 years old. My Treadmill is an Horizon t21… read more
Craig
Craig
Electrical Director,
Electrical Automation Technician