Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

the resistance does not work on my proform 490 elliptical and

Customer Question
it makes a loud scraping...
the resistance does not work on my proform 490 elliptical and it makes a loud scraping noise
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2010
Exercise Equipment Technician: treadmilltech, Technician replied 7 years ago
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
You can test the tension motor, by using a 9 volt battery - attach a wire to positive and negative side then touch the yellow and blue wires of the motor- let it run till it stops and then switch the wires around and let it run the other way. If it works both ways the motor is good. Then test the harness for continuity from the console to the motor. You will need to use a volt meter to check the continuity. If the wires check ok you will need to check the voltage being supplied by the console through the blue and yellow wires when the tension buttons are pressed - it should be approx 6 vdc. If there is no voltage the console is defective and will need replaced.

As far as the scraping noise. That could be the internal tension on the flywheel or the crank arms could be scraping on the plastic covers. once you get the tension fixed, reassemble without the sides and see if it still scrapes.
the motor works but this does not appear to change the resistance. The noise is coming from the magnetic resistance wheel.
If the resistance is not changing inside the wheel then the flywheel is bad and would need replaced. Here is a link to purchase the replacement part.

http://www.iconservice.com/CustomerService/partsPartsList.do?model=PFEL04909&modelName=PROFORM+STRIDECLIMBER+490+ELLIPTICAL&version=0&company=11
i took the wheel apart which part is bad the inside or the outside? The magnets go in and out with the wire, but it does not appear to change resistance.
Usually a plastic keeper breaks on the inside of the wheel which in turn doesn't allow it to change resistance. The factory doesn't sell any of the internal parts to replace. They only sell the flywheel as a whole.
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician