Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

BodyGuard Treadmill T240 or T260 Control Panel lights up,

Customer Question
BodyGuard Treadmill T240 or T260...
BodyGuard Treadmill T240 or T260 Control Panel lights up, but "go" button will not work. (speed buttons/ up and down work) Manual says cause may be too much sweat got into controls. I have not used this in two days.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Exercise Equipment Technician: treadmilltech, Technician replied 8 years ago
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Remove the console from the treadmill and remove the back
remove and replace the ribbon cables that run from the keypads to the control board (they are flat plastic strips that push into the board).
remove and replace all the connections on the console
reattach the console and test
if it still doesn't work you would have to replace the button overlays or complete console.
Are you saying replace with new ribbon cables -- or just detach and reattach?
for now just detach and reattach several times to try and clean the contacts but if that doesn't work the only fix is to replace the button overlays if they are available or you may have to replace the console.
I could not figure how to remove console, but I removed back. I see one flat strip that has green and white stripes. I believe this is the ribbon cable, however, I can not figure how to remove and replace it.
it should just push in a connector(there is possibly a lock that unattaches by squeezing the lock and lifting but most of them do not have this). When you remove it just push it in and out a few times to try and clean the connectors.
I could not get the ribbon out. I left the back panel off the console over night, thinking that maybe some moisture got in there, ---and hoping it might dry out and work. This morning i turned it on and surprise, it started. I turned it off and back on, and it worked again. I tried a third time and it failed. Now it will not start. Same as yesterday. Does that give you any other ideas of what is wrong, or what I can do?
I decided to try it one more time after about 10 minutes, and it started. What do you think?
You may have a bad connection or solder join,t if moving it around is making it work. I would unplug and replug every connection on the console you can get to. Try to wipe off any perspiration residue that may be on the inside or outside. If it stays working then you may have moved the connection enough to make contact. Hopefully that is all it is.
It seems to me that the button is sticking, since it worked twice and then failed -- and then worked 10 minutes later. Is there a way to unstick sticky control buttons?
If the button is an actual switch you can but if it is a flat plastic ribbon you can't. That is why it is necessary to replace the button overlays sometimes. You can purchase electrical connection cleaner from an electronics store that may help. It is worth a try if you can't find the overlays or console for cheap enough.
please remember to hit the green accept button in order for me to be paid for my time!
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
It seems to be working. My guess is that maybe moisture dried out from inside the console because I have left the back off, and I now keep the console covered from sweat. I am sending payment now. Thanks for your advice.
No problem thanks a lot.
It stopped working again. The last time I used it, I was cooling down and walking at the very slowest speed when the belt stopped, and the console said something like "speed error". Does this mean anything that could relate to the problem I have with the "go" button seeming to stick?
Speed problem is a speed sensor error. a different problem then before,
You will need to check the speed sensor for proper alignment and function. it should be located near the front roller or mounted on the motor. It should be within a credit cards width of the magnet or toothed wheel. If properly adjusted check with an ammeter to see if it is opening and closing by manually spinning the front roller or motor flywheel. If it isn't replace the sensor. If it is functioning make sure you are getting 5vdc to it across the wires. If you are not replace the upper control board(console). If you are getting the proper voltage then replace the lower control board(motor controller).
is the console the same thing as the control board? For the original problem you said I may need to replace the console, and now you say I may need to replace the control board for the new problem.
console is the digital readout - the controller controls the motor speed