Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Technician

Exercise Equipment

I have a Reebok RL 10.0 elliptical. The model is RBEL66807.

Customer Question
I have a Reebok RL...
I have a Reebok RL 10.0 elliptical. The model is RBEL66807. It was working fine, but the batteries went low. The batteries were replaced and after that, the display will only show intermittently or not at all. Other functions work correctly. I called Reebok and they recommended I purchase a transformer rather than the batteries. I did that and it did not resolve the issue. Their next suggestion is to replace the console. The cost of a new console is approximately $300. The cost of the elliptical was about $700 in the first place, so replacing the console at $300 is awfully expensive. Can you help me in any way? Is it possible to repair my console at a lower cost than replacement.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
11/11/2009
Exercise Equipment Technician: Craig, Technician replied 8 years ago
Craig
Craig, Technician
This problem is indicting an 'intermittent connection' Have you tried unplugging and
re seating the connectors on the console? Also, give the wires a 'tug test' by pulling on them to see if they come right out of the connector.

Edited by Craig on 11/11/2009 at 8:04 PM EST
Yes, there are several connectors on the main circuit board. I have reseated all of them. Thr problem is the display and it started malfunctioning when the batteries were replaced. I am now using a transformer without any change. I cannot get the display to work long enough to see any settings. I have not tried pulling on the connectors to see if they come apart. So far any wire wiggling has helped.
Can you try pushing on the board and flexing things, somewhere there, there is a wire loose or partially broken. This is preventing power into the console board. Look closer...
Craig,
I cannot work on the elliptical until Friday. If I accept your answer now then my problem is not resolved, do I have any recourse? Do I get another shot or a refund? I am happy to pay the money if I get my problem resolved. I will accept the answer and test on Friday.
Do not accept until you are happy with what you get. We'll look at it again...Craig
Will respond when I can work on the elliptical. Thanks until then
sounds good....

Craig,

I have removed the console, checked all the connectors. Here is what I find. There is power to the circuit board. All of the functions of the board work except the display. The fan works, the resistance level changes, the keypad works. All these go through the main board. On the board there are several marked test points. I can see several ground points and some marked with voltages. I have tested several points such as one marked 6V and it measures correctly. There is a 3.3 test point. It measures correctly. As far as the display is concerned, it has red and black wires soldered directly to the board. That connection looks sound and I don't see any solder bridges or anything like that. If I measure between the red and black I get 0.0 V. If I measure from either of the red or black to a ground test point I get 1.8 V. Is is possible to determine if the display is bad or it the main board is just not sending a signal? Or for that matter, am I just out of luck.

Thank you for the clear and concise information. The fact that there is no voltage between the red and black going to the display is bothersome. However, I can not tell you for sure what the voltage level between the two conductors should be. The fact that there is voltage with respect to common is encouraging and I do feel that the display board is more than likely the problem. I wish I could be more definitive for you, but cannot. I did do some reading on LCD boards and could not find definite values concerning the signal or voltages used to operate the display. They do point out that the voltages and power used is very low value. I do tend to believe that the display is probably faulty. There is the possibility of contacting the tech support with Reebok for more information and diagnostics.

The one thing that you said in your first post still tells me that it is a connection problem or cracked solder. You said "the display will only show intermittently or not at all". Would you try one more time with the power on to the control. Try using your meter lead and push on the boards, both the LCD and the control board and flex the boards and watch for any signs of life at the LCD?

Craig,

I think we have done all we can. I noted that when I pressed the display button on the key pad, I would get 0.38 volts between the two terminals on the display. I am fairly well convinced that the problem is the display. I removed it and thought perhaps I could get a number or something from it, but it has nothing on it. I also thought I might buy one from the internet, but I have no way of telling its specifications. I think I will just have to make a decision on whether to spend the $300 for a new console or not. I appreciate your help. Respond and I will accept your answer.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a pleasure working with you. Your answers and information were way ahead of the rest! It's nice to see folks who can help themselves... Craig
Craig
Craig, Technician
Craig
Craig
Craig, Technician