TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  20 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I have a old Swiss rifle my dad gave me long time ago.

Customer Question

i have a old Swiss rifle my dad gave me long time ago. trying to find out the year was made. to see if 96/11 or 1911 or k31. S/N is 320355 and i have had problems finding 7.5x55 ammo i read about GP11 but can't find it. what about 7.62x51 will it work without hurting the gun.
JA: The Firearms Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you have the gun's serial number or barrel code?
Customer: I gave you the S/N 320355
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not i know of, i'm not sure where me dad got it. but it looks brand new. it's been taking good care of or at sometime has been restored. I'm 67 years old he gave it to me in late 90's.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 6 days ago.

You can not use 7.62 ammo is a gun chambered for 7.5 x 55. Below is a link to sites that have it in stock.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.5x55mm-swiss

If you can send pictures I should be able to tell you which model you have. I would also need the barrel length from muzzle to bolt face (with bolt closed) and the overall length of the bolt.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Tom

Expert:  TOM replied 6 days ago.

Your rifle is a Model 1889/96 that was made in 1907 by Schmidt Rubin. It should have a 30.75" barrel and a 12 round magazine.

Current values from The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms are:

Fair-$200

Good - $275

Very Good - $350

Excellent - $$475

Tom

Expert:  TOM replied 5 days ago.

Please take a minute and rate my answer to your question using the stars on your page. I do not receive credit for the question or get paid for my time until it is rated by you.

If you are using the mobile application, you will have a button at the bottom of the screen.
But if you are using a mobile browser, then you need to scroll up to the top of the page.

Thank you,

Tom