Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a 38 5 shot iver safety automatic revolver, serial #

Customer Question
I have a 38...

I have a 38 5 shot iver johnson safety automatic revolver, serial # G9190.

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

It is a large frame, nickel plated, top break, model 3, and in excellent condition. Can you tell me when it was made and an approximate value?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

No that is all.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Firearms
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Firearms Expert: Bill, Gunsmith replied 21 days ago
Bill
Bill, Gunsmith

Thank you for all that info. I would like to know some more if possible, just checking and comparing sources so I give you correct info.

Does it have a coil spring for the hammer spring or a flat spring for the hammer spring? If you aren't sure, don't bother taking the grips off. I need to know how many cross pins are in the lower frame? That will tell me what I need to know.

Thank you,

Bill

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It has a coil spring. It also has four cross pins in lower frame, three under the cylinder and one located towards the rear.

Ok. Thank you for that. I had to be sure it is a third model. Sorry for any bother.

The "G" prefixed serial numbers for the third model were used from 1915 thru 1926. The low number tells me it had to have been made in 1915 to 1916.

They used the "A" prefix from 1909-1914. They used the "J" for 1927-1940.

Here are the Blue Book of Gun Values prices:

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER (SMOKELESS POWDER CARTRIDGE) - .22 rimfire, .32 centerfire, or .38 centerfire cal., 5 or 7 shot, small or large frame, 3 or 3 1/4 in. barrel, hard rubber grips with owl's head on top, optional oversized wood or hard rubber grips, all coil springs, redesigned model for smokeless powder, double top post barrel latch, hammer the hammer action, coil hammer spring, four cross pins in lower frame, main ser. no. located on left side of grip frame, 13-19 oz. Mfg. 1909-1941.

100%: $250

98%: $220

95%: $200

90%: $190

HAMMERLESS model values-

100%: $260

98%: $225

95%: $200

90%: $190

Keep in mind that these prices are dealer prices, so you need to add 20% for retail market prices.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Bill