Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

S&W Shield 45 slide jammed half open after firing light

Customer Question
S&W Shield 45 slide...

S&W Shield 45 slide jammed half open after firing light load. Will not budge and I can rotate the cartridge in the chamber. No squib. bore is clear. will not go into battery or pull back to move to move takedown lever.

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Just trying to remove slide to see what's wrong with the action

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Firearms
5/28/2018
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 2 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

Are you able to remove the magazine. If you can, remove it and then use a small punch or screw driver to pull the extractor out and push the empty case back into the chamber. Does this allow the slide to move at all?

Tom

done with no change. slide still locked up.

Sometimes when a gun jams like this there are very few options. Are you able to see the ejector? It is on the left side and will protrude from the breech face if the slide is back far enough. If you can see it try to push it down and then push the slide forward.

I really don't think it's the ejector, but everything needs to be tried.

With the gun upside down on a table or bench you should be able to use a small screwdriver to to "pry" the striker guide forward out of the rear plate on the slide and move the plate up with another screwdriver. As soon as the plate starts moving you can relax on the guide and pull the plate out of the slide. When the plate is off, the striker assembly will start to move to the rear, but should catch on the blocking plunger. Push the plunger in and the striker will come out of the slide. This should free it up. The striker may be hung up on the sear, sliding the tip of the screwdriver between the sear and striker will allow it to come out.

You can also (before taking slide apart) just tap the rear of the slide with a rubber or padded mallet to see if it breaks free. I have had to do it too many times!

Once free, lubricate everything and reassemble.

Tom

Striker assembly totally removed. Locking block pin and sear block pin removed. Slide will not budge.

I can not see anything else that would cause it to jam like that by looking at the schematic. Is the guide rod sticking out of the front of the slide?

Tom

I'm wondering if the barrel bulged, I know you said it was a light load. Were there any others or shots when the recoil felt different. The barrel should be sticking out of the slide a little. Is it tight against the barrel opening in the slide or can you move it side to side and up and down?

Tom

Slide is only back about 1/2" out of battery. Barrel is tight in slide, appears to be jammed on locking blocks.

Even with only being 1/2" back the barrel should have some movement at the front of the slide. If you have a rubber mallet or a hammer and small piece of soft wood like pine try tapping the slide forward. 1 time give it a pretty solid rap.

Tom

already tried it. also tried tapping barrel.

There is nothing that I can see that is stopping the slide from moving. With the strike removed it eliminates the fire control parts.

The only option left is to use some muscle on it! Pad a small area of your workbench with a piece of carpet, or a folded hand towel. Hold the gun by the grip and hit the back of the slide against the bench to drive it forward. I really think the barrel bulged and the opening for the barrel in the slide is wedged on the barrel.

Where do you live? You didn't answer about any other loads that sounded different or the recoil felt different before the slide jammed?

Tom