Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

Louie ****** Here; Bridgewater, MA; Major, Retired US Army.,

Customer Question
Louie ****** Here; Bridgewater...

Louie ****** Here; Bridgewater, MA; Major, Retired US Army

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Tom, with all the controversy about the AR15, can I purchase one in MASS> I have a concealed carry permit in State of MASS.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

NO, NO CRIMINAL RECORD, NO TRAFFIC TICKETS. Paid my ddues in VIET NAM, 1969

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Firearms
4/1/2018
Firearms Expert: Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer replied 25 days ago
Big River Guns
Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer

Hello! I'm sorry that your question went for so long unanswered. I just came in from work and saw it posted. I am a firearms expert and can assist you with this question of ownership of an AR style or any similar rifle like the ar15 in .223, .556 or in a wylde barrel configuration or an ar10 for that matter. These are the latest rules regarding your right to purchase, possess, or transfer any gun and then "large capacity" defined devices. Remember though that even though today they are allowed as I will post below you never know what kind of new laws they will pass next week. It's a mess right now so I find it best to call the local PD and ask them. Most are pretty easy to deal with and for the most part they know the new laws that will go into effect in the future since they are sent notices of any new laws and when those laws will go into effect. Here in Illinois we got notices every few months with most laws going into effect at the beginning of the next year. Some gun laws though have been pushed to go into effect immediately with no grace periods. So, to get back to your question... With a Massachusetts LTC (License to carry) you are allowed to possess an AR15. These are the guidelines:

There are different types of licenses based on the type of firearms to be possessed:

• License to Carry (LTC): Permits the purchase, possession, transportation, and carrying of all large- and non-large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns, and feeding devices, as well as ammunition. This is the only license that allows the carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded.
  • Firearms Identification Card (FID): Permits the purchase, possession, and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition.

A large-capacity firearm is defined as a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting more than ten rounds, OR is a semi-automatic shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells, OR is an assault weapon. A rifle with a fixed tubular magazine designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber ammunition is not a large-capacity firearm.

NOTE: Although a firearms license is not needed to possess primitive long guns such as a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun or its ammunition, a firearms license is needed to purchase all ammunition including black powder.

Large-Capacity Rifles and Shotguns: All persons transporting large capacity rifles or shotguns under an LTC must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a large-capacity firearm during transport in a motor vehicle. Large-capacity firearms left unattended in a vehicle must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container. All guns must be stored in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device.

I hope I have answered all of your questions today and if so please rate my service with 5 stars positive so I will get credit for my time assisting you. If you need further information just let me know and I would be happy to return to the chat page.

Big River Guns
Big River Guns
Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer