Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a 1911a1 that will not lock the hammer back when I…

Customer Question
I have a 1911a1...

I have a 1911a1 that will not lock the hammer back when I rack the slide back. but will lock back if I thumb the hammer back.

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I changed the hammer and the beaver tale safety now the 1911 wont lock the hammer back when i rack the slide back. the hammer comes forward to the half cocked postion. if i thumb the hammer back it stayes at full cocked.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Firearms
3/25/2018
Firearms Expert: Bill, Gunsmith replied 2 months ago
Bill
Bill, Gunsmith

Hi, my name is Bill,

The problem is the hammer. It won't move far enough to lock into battery with the sear. The slide is not moving the hammer down and back far enough because the hammer does not have enough material on it to be moved far enough by the slide. The two hammers do not have the same profile.

Maybe you can you put the old hammer back and still keep the beaver-tail safety you want.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else you need let me know.

Thank you,

Bill