Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I am trying to determine the year of an older S&W revolver.

I am trying to...

I am trying to determine the year of an older S&W revolver. Serial Number 5423. Caliber is 44 special

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

6 inch barrel, six shot revolver caliber noted above trying to get the model number

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Thats all I have right now

3/25/2018
Bill
Bill, Gunsmith

Hi, my name is Bill.

Is there a letter prefix on the serial number? Can you please open-up the cylinder and look on the frame, behind the cylinder crane, and tell me what is stamped there? Please let me know and I will get right back to you with the year of manufacture. I just need to verify these things before I can give you a definite answer.

Thank you,

Bill

To maybe save some time of interaction here. If there is no letter prefix on the serial number itself, then the serial number of 5423 says it was manufactured in mid to late 1900.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you,

Bill

Bill,, I will run down and look at the letter prefix

OK. Thanks.

Bill

Bill
Bill, Gunsmith