Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

Cylinder does not rotate during live fire. After, 2 shots (3…

Customer Question
Cylinder does not rotate...

Cylinder does not rotate during live fire. After, 2 shots (3 sometimes) the cylinder does not rotate and the trigger is very difficult to pull,

Expert's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Trigger?

OS ??

Expert's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Trigger? What have you tried so far?

I was told to contact Smith N Wesson for repairs.

Expert's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

The ammo I used were "Federal Premium, 38 Special High Velocity, (+P+), and 38 special

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Firearms
3/20/2018
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 1 month ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

It is a computer trying to get information from you when you first ask, computer generated questions can be very confusing!

It sounds like the yoke may be bent or possibly one of the chambers has a build up and the cartridge is not seating fully. When this happens the base of the shell rubs or jams on the flash guard and stops the cylinder which will prevent the trigger from moving.

There could also be damage to the extractor where the hand pushes against it to rotate the cylinder. If this is the case it would happen on the same chamber each time.

The last thing is the gun may need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and re-assembled. When grease and / or oil are very old they will make the action sticky and as heat builds up from firing it gets worse.

Which model S&W do you have? There are many gunsmiths capable of repairing your gun. If you tell me where you live I may be able to refer you to someone I know that is good.

Tom

TOM
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith