Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a shapleighs nitro 20 gauge shotgun and i need a

Customer Question
I have a shapleighs...

I have a shapleighs king nitro 20 gauge shotgun and i need a butt plate

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I need a replacement butt plate

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Firearms
3/19/2018
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 4 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

Shapleigh was a chain of hardware stores that had guns stamped with their name. Crescent Firearms is one of the companies that supplied these guns. For the cost of the stamp they would put any name you wanted on the gun. It can either be a gun made by Crescent or one of the thousands they imported from Belgium.

These guns are obsolete and most parts are no longer available. Your best bet is to purchase a generic butt plate and fit it to your gun. Brownells carries many different plastic butt plates and recoil pads that can be ground to fit your stock. Order 1 slightly larger than the butt of your gun and grind it with a belt sander to the correct size. If you are not able to do it a local gunsmith should be able to fit it for you.

These are recoil pads:

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=recoil+pads&psize=96

These are butt plates, scroll down to the universal plate which come in small, medium and large and order 1 a little bigger than your stock

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=butt+plate&ksubmit=y

Screw the replacement on, scribe a line around the stock, remove the plate and grind it to size.

Tom