ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.
30945867

I have a j stevens 12ga dbl barrel part numbers on gun are

I have a j stevens 12ga dbl barrel part numbers on gun are 29797 can you tell me year made and appox value

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Is there any indication on the gun as to a model number?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
29797

That would be the serial number. The model number would probably be on the barrel....

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
25797

OK, do you have a photo of the gun?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no it was my grandfathers I believe it was around 1890 outside hammers

OK, take a look behind the hinge pin that unlocks the barrels or possibly in front of the trigger guard. Do you see any letters/numbers? Possibly inside of a circle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
only numbers I find 25797 say s pats apero for onmedalside of gun

OK, can you tell me exactly what is written on the gun? The Stevens name, and anything else?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
j stevens A&Tco Chicopee falls mass pats appld for

Ok, great. Well, I can tell you with certainty that the version of the Stevens name that you described was used from 1886-1915, so that definitely puts the gun into the time frame that you thought. Now, most Stevens shotguns were considered to be just utility grade shotguns and they unfortunately don't command a high value....usually in the $100 to $125 range, or thereabouts.

Need anything else?

I hope that this info was helpful. If you don't need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will complete our session.

Thanks!

Jim