Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I just purchased a NIB S&W Mod 19-3 with 2.5” barrel, and…

Good Morning! I just...

Good Morning! I just purchased a NIB S&W Mod 19-3 with 2.5” barrel, and nickel plated. The revolver is in beautiful condition...timing, lock up and cylinder end shake are all good. Only possible issue is that when the cylinder is opened up, the cylinder will not “spin” freely. It will rotate, when I move it with my fingers, but it won’t spin freely. My personal assessment is that there could be old grease/oil gumming it up and needs a detailed disassembly, deep cleaning, and re-lube, or, it just needs some rounds put through her at the range, to loosen her up. Your assessment and recommendation?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

That’s about it for the Mod 19...just trying to get an ideas as to why the cylinder won’t spin freely.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Interesting....well, without physically examining the gun myself, I would tend to agree with your assessment. Sounds like there is definitely some old gunk in there that is binding the cylinder up a bit and keeping it from spinning. I would suggest trying something non-invasive like blowing some compressed air through there to see if it clears. Otherwise, you may want to swing by your local gunsmith and have him take a peek at it, just to be sure that its not something mechanical.

What do you think?
Jim

Hi Jim, that makes sense to me...it’s a job a good general gunsmith can do, so I’ll do exactly that with a local guy. The revolver was manufactured in the late 60s, and was not carried or fired much at all. I think she may just need a detailed dis-assembly, cleaning and re-lube with some modern lubricant. Thanks much for your insight, and time!

Great! Happy to help! If you don't need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will then complete our session.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor