Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I asked you almost 4 hours ago to call me on the 1849 pocket…

Customer Question
Tom, I asked you almost...
Tom, I asked you almost 4 hours ago to call me on the 1849 pocket pistol. You came on when I was putting my credit card in and said that you had the answer. If I do not know what to pay for this gun I will loose it. The guy has called me 10 times for an answer. Can you please call me at(###) ###-#### I have been calling customer service and sending you emails all night asking you to call me. I just do not understand. Have done something wrong? why won't you call me as I ask? Stephen.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Firearms
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Firearms Expert: Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer replied 4 months ago
Big River Guns
Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer

Hello! I will be assisting your today. I am sorry that Tom didn't reply but I am a Firearms expert with years of experience and can get the value information you need.

If you can upload some photos and give me the markings on the 1849 pocket pistol I will be happy to give you some information and associated values.

do you have a copy of my email? Unfortunately can not put in the pictures. long story. Stephen.
I want to talk on the phone but I am not paying another $34.00, I have already paid $95.00 and have absolutely nothing for it except a lot of anger and 6 less hours of sleep waiting for Tom to call. I asked Do you have the email that I sent TOM at 8 pm last night on the COLT 1849 Pocket Pistol Because I asked him to call me so I wouldn't use up a half hour of time typing but he insisted that I take the 1/2 hour typing it. Stephen.
Are you saying that 95.00 isn't enough money to call me?

I'm sorry I just came in and saw that no one had helped you so I jumped right in. E-mails go to the administrator and then are distributed. I have no control over billing and that is what the company is charging not what I get. Is it possible for you to upload a few photos? I'm a FFL and Firearm Appraisal Expert so I cna determine a great amount on information from photos. I am very sorry you have not had a good experience so far but I am trying to make that better.

If you have a couple photos with one of each side and the serial number if you have one.

I would be happy to give you a call after I review your pistol information. I haven't called since it looks like it is late in MA where your area code is and I didn't want to wake you since I came in and started sending you messages and hour after you last posted. It sounds like you need an answer quickly and I am more than willing to go the extra mile looking up the details and giving you a call if that is acceptable to you.

Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 4 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

I'm sorry, but I do not receive notification when questions come in. The only time I see a question at all is when it has been left for hours and no one else can answer it. I was not on my computer at all last night except to check email. There was nothing from Just Answer until 6:20 am when I signed on today and that was only 1 line with the serial number. Just Answer tells me it is a problem on my end and my server tells me it's a problem on JA's end.

If you can give me the make and model of the gun I will be happy to call you.

Tom

Hi Tom. I Have terminal cancer and have been very sick all day because I was so upset last night and stayed up until 4 am waiting for an answer. I only had last night to get an answer on the value. This morning the owner came to my house very angry because I had not called him with an answer to the value of his gun and how much I would pay for it. I also lost out on all of the other guns, coins & old $ bills he had & many other items that he had for sale that he gave me first dibs on. I am bed ridden and wheelchair bound so it is very hard for me to earn a living. My wife and I are in jepardy of loosing or home and the money that I would have made on this gun and the other items he had I know would have pulled us out of that situation. I am a very honest & my integrity means very much to me. I have over 20 books on guns and the extensive internet, also many records of RIA (Rock Islands Auctions) and many others but I could not find how much having the original box and all the other items that were original to the gun brought the price up. I could not in good conscience give him a price on everything until I was sure of it's value. He gave me the gun yesterday around 7pm. He wanted me to call him by 10 pm to give him a price. after I id the gun and looked up the price in 4 of my new new price books, I went on the internet and tried in vain to find how much the extra stuff brought up the price. At that point I remembered what a great job you did for me on the Maynard & ballard & many other guns in the past. Because of all of the info that I needed to give you I called customer service to see if I could talk to you on the phone so as not to break any rules. they said that I could and that is when I contacted you and the girl came on and asked me to give her some info. I said at that time that I wanted to talk to you on the phone. She said for me to at least give her some info on what I wanted for you to do. I did that in a short summery and then she said she wanted all of the info before you would talk to me on the phone. I said something to the effect that it would take me a long time to type all of the info and I would rather talk to you on the phone but again she insisted that I type out everything before you would call. I typed out about half of the info because so of the questions would have taken me an other 1/2 hour to type. I sent what I had typed and the the system brought me to the "Give me your credit card info. As I was doing that you or rather your picture came on and you said that you already had the answer. I filled out the credit card info and was charged $5.00 to start & then $45.00 for your answer. Because I had more to ask for a fourth time I asked if you would PLEASE call me. had given you my phone # but also gave it to you again in my email. I never received no call or email. I kept emailing you all night beside calling customer service. After many hours of emailing you the system started all over again asking me for another $45.00 to be able to talk with you. I gladly paid it but still heard nothing from you. finally by 3 am another person came on and said he was taking your place. I asked him if he had the info that I sent you so he would be up to speed. he answered by saying something about talking to me on the phone. I asked him if he had the stuff I emailed you. He never answered. He only brought up a screen that it would cost me another $34.00 to talk to him. I emailed him saying "I have already paid $95.00 and waited 7 hours for an answer and was not going to pay another $34.00 when I had received no info after 7 hours and had paid $95.00 and never received a call or an answer. he never said a word back. I finally wrote my last message saying "$95.00 that I paid wasn't enough to even call me for a second" No answer. By then I was so sick from being upset with you Tom & just answer that I went to sleep. I do not care if you believe me but I was so sick today that I was close to death. My wife stayed by my side all day and knew that I was so weak listless and she felt the same way. When I felt just a little better she told me that she also thought that I may not make it through the day. AS GOD IS MY WHITNESS, I was this sick. I just do not understand why, if you had the info, why couldn't you have called me as I had asked MANY MANY TIMES FROM THE BEGGING? have always been very generous with you Tom, the last time paying a lot and giving you a $50.00 tip. I do not know how I will be able to keep the house now because I have nothing else in the wind but I will try. Please get back to me so I will know why you couldn't call me or write me anything after I paid. I would just like to know because I truly believe that you are also an honest, knowledgable, trustworthy, and a man of integrety also. I truly feel that way and had a lot of respect for you. hat is why I want to give you the benifit of doubt. I just need to know. Thank you Tom, please get back to me. Stephen.

Once again, I do not receive any notice when a customer asks a question and only see "left over questions" when they are posted hours after the question is originally asked. I had no information, question, gun make, nothing except when you posted "why won't you call" and that was the only thing that showed up. I can not control what they send to me and have no way of knowing when a question comes in until it is hours later and no one else is able to answer it. Most will say "posted 1 day ago" when I do see them. I can not call or answer when I do not know there is a question, it's as simple as that!

I am a full time gunsmith and it is very seldom that I am on this site. I can not sit at a computer waiting for someone to ask a question, this is a spare time thing and I have very little spare time! I have guns coming in from all over the country for repair and restoration and have little to no time on this site.

When I got up today at 5 am there was a message on my phone saying I had a response from a customer, there is still nothing on my computer.

Having an original box for a gun this old can increase the value from 10% to 30% depending on the condition of the box. If all of the accessories are with it up to 50%. By accessories I mean a bullet mold, powder measure, etc.

The value of the gun itself depends on condition, First model, type, second model type, Wells Fargo (3" barrel and small round trigger guard), Early or late London model.

Tom

Hi Tom. I am very confused now. Do you know the girl that it said was your assistant? She got my email instantly. I put on a line that said regular ------rush------ extreem rush or words of that type. If your so busy that you can only once in a while get to answer a question. I wonder why do they give them to you. I asked your assistant to have you call me and she very quickly answered me with more questions. t doesn't make any sense that they would only give you a sentence that I wrote an hour later and not the 500 word main question.I am not doubting you Tom at all so please do not take it that way. Why do they show your picture, say you will do it in a rush, then never give you the question? Right after I as the question, you appeared as a half of my screen saying that you had my answer already. They just put a hollowgraft of you there, it just does not make any sense. If your so busy doing the gunsmith items & really do not have time for a rush question, why do they give it to you. nothing makes sense of this entire thing. Last time I worked with you, you received my message my message the minute I sent it because you replied within minutes. What has changed? What did they do with my 500 word question? Why did you come on my screen right after I sent the 500 word question and said that you had the answer. now you say that you never received the question. Do you see why I am confused at all Tom? Also, I think you could have said I am sorry that you have terminal cancer or that I lost that gun and all the rest of the guns and other items. Don't you think? Stephen.

I do not have an assistant. I do this in my spare time from my home in PA. Just Answer is based in California. I do not go to a Just Answer office. I have no access to any of your information, not even a name unless you give it to me. When a question for firearms comes in it is supposed to be available to me right away, however I do not receive the notices (emails) saying a question is available or when a customer has requested me. They have no idea about what I do on a daily basis, where I am The only reason I am back on here now is I have a pain management appointment and need to leave in an hour and do not want to get involved in a gun and have to leave it. I am normally in my shop which is in my home from 7 am until 7 or 8 pm. If I take a break and see a question I will answer it. If it isn't posted for me to see, I can't answer. I have had a problem for the last 4 years with notifications. Just Answer says it is with my IP, my IP says it is Just Answer. Since I get their weekly newsletter and a notice when a customer has accepted an answer, it makes me believe it is on their end.

When you first go onto Just Answer you are dealing with computer generated questions. It is not a person. I'm sorry you had a problem, but it is not something I can control. I can only answer what I see. I came up to order parts and saw your reply. There was no notice about it.

Tom

Just to let you know Tom your picture is on the screen with a girl representing you. hen I emailed you her picture came up and she said that she would give the info to Tom, the gun smith. I am just letting you know this so you will know what is going on. This is not for but only to inform me. Everyone in customer service and that girl said that you were handling it. I believe you though. When I used you before I was very happy. I even gave you a $50.00 tip on top of over $100.00 because I was so happy with your answers. Now I understand your possission but someone there should have told me what was going on besides you. I have lost thousands of dollars that I desporatly needed but not I see that none of it was your fault. thank you for taking your precious time this morning to explain thinks. Take care Tom and good luck with your gunsmithing.. sincerely, stephen