Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I bought a shotgun off of a friend and was wondering how to…

I bought a shotgun off...
I bought a shotgun off of a friend and was wondering how to go about çhecking if it is stolen and then if not how to register it and if it is stolen what i should do with it?
3/13/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Is there a reason that you think it might be stolen?

Well I wouldnt be askin if I didnt have a reason now would I? LOL

Well, true.....

Ok, so there is no way for the public to check to see if a gun is stolen. That would have to be run through a national crime computer system called NCIC by the police, and it would come up only if the gun was entered into the system by serial number to begin with.

Do you have another question ?

Ok so i have purchased this gun that im assuming is unregistered because the story i was told was it was this guys grandfathers who hadnt used it in like 20ish years who died..... so my mom has her P.A.L or w.e i got it for her how does she register it

What state are you in?

In canadia eh

OK, well I think the first thing you need to do is to see if its stolen with a computer search through the police. You certainly don't want to try to register a gun in your mother's name only to find out its stolen.

Yeah ok and then what? Or do u only know usa?

I believe that the shotgun needs to be registered with the RCMP through the Canadian Firearms Registry.

What else can I help you with?

Thats all thnx

Did I answer your question satisfactorily?

As best u could i think, yeah
Ok very good. I'm always happy to help if you need something more. If you dont need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will then complete our session.Thanks!
Jim
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor