Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

Are say 4” barreled guns more susceptible to wear than say…

Are say 4” barreled...

Are say 4” barreled guns more susceptible
to wear than say 6” barreled guns due to
higher average PSI when pushing the
PSI boundaries?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Its a general ballistics question, I got a spread sheet off the internet and it sows the pressures going up as the barrel gets shorter-- was wondering if this is a real world consideration.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Well for instance I've read that s&w m25 was good for about 25K psi, with the same ammo as the barrel gets longer (according to the spread sheet) the av PSI goes down. Is this real thing to be aware of?

1/20/2018
Jon
Jon, Consultant

My name is Jon. I will do my best to help.

It is questions like this that lead to years long debates even among the experts.

There are a number of variables at play here like: Is this measurement of chamber pressure or barrel pressure, at what point in the barrel is the pressure being measured or at what time in the internal ballistics process is it being measured.

Here is what wk know for sure, the peak pressure inside of barrel takes place with in about 1" to 2" of the seated bullets original position on the loaded cartridge. It is generally true that the bullet will exit the barrel of a shorter barrel firearm at a higher pressure that the same bullet exiting the barrel of a longer barreled firearm. However in either case the maximum pressure has already been reached before the bullet leaves the barrel. But to answer your question is a 4" more susceptible to wear than a 6"? Maybe, but I think the any difference would be so small that it would never be noticed, or even be measurable. I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jon only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jon

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK. So since the peak takes place in the first inch or two we would think say the 4" gun would likely not be damaged by missing out on the less damaging part of the curve that the 6"+ inch barrel would experience on a barrel length vs psi graph? So I take it that you would not be particularly concerned about the long term wear on a gun where say with a six inch barrel the ave PSI was within the recommend limit but the same gun exceeded it with 4" barrel? I have noticed by plugging in the weight and known or assumed speed for a 4" from various ammos into this spread sheet (for the s&w m25) the 25K limit seems to crop up fairly often-- like the ammo manufactures are aware of it and are trying to stay near it for a 4" barrel.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK no phone call needed. The last message was just an attempt to confirm what you said. Thx

Yes, I would have to agree with both statements. As long as you are operating withing a safe PSI level you should be fine. I don't think you would ever be able to see any noticeable difference in the amount of wear of different barrel lengths.

Sincerely,

Jon

Jon
Jon, Consultant
Jon
Jon
Jon, Consultant