Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a 4 in. Colt double-action revolver marked Colt

I have a 4...

I have a 4 in. Colt double-action revolver marked Colt Commando .38

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I have a 4 in. double-action revolver marked Colt Commando .38 Special--Ser. No. 417161. Unlike most Commandos, It has a blued finish (not refinished), checkered wood grip with Colt emblem, checkered hammer spur, checkered trigger, brass bead front sight, Rampant colt on left sideplate, windage adjustable rear sight. Action tight, and fully functional, but finish at 50 %. Is this an early or unusual variant of the Commando series? Can you give me a range of values?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Thanks for any help you can give concerning my Colt Commando. I keep sending my messages before I am ready to.

1/18/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

I can certainly help with this. Give me a few minutes to do some research for you.....

Can you please double check that serial number for me?

It is located on the frame under the cylinder crane, and is 417161. There is a fainter V stamped under it, as well. Also, I forgot to mention the backstrap is checkered, as well.

Do you happen to have any photos of this gun?

Sorry, no photos, and the only "smart phone" in the house is out of town for a few days with my wife.

OK...let me do some additional research. That serial number is ***** too high for the Commando I'm thinking of.

Thanks for all your effort. By the way, the latest patent date listed on the top of the barrel is Oct. 5, 1926, if that helps.

That would be the correct patent date that I'd expect.

Jim, I now have a few photos of the Colt Commando you are researching for me. I hope my wife can figure out how to forward them to you. Thanks again for any help you can give me.
Great! Just attach them using the add files button
Here are the pictures

Good morning, and thank you for sending those photos. You most certainly do have a Colt Commando revolver. Now, I couldn't make out the stamped numbers in the photo very well, but that is ok. These revolvers should be serial numbered from 1 to about 50,000. After World War II, these guns were often sold to other organizations and they quite often re-stamped them with their own numbers.

Here is your value info.....

.

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating..

.

Answer:

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com....

.

Manufacturer/Trademark – Colt

Model/configuration – Commando, double action revolver

Estimated Value Range –see below

.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability..

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $1,900

Mint condition --------98% condition - $1,650

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $1,400

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $1,175

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $950

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $800

Good condition--------------60% condition - $675

.

Less than good $275 to $525

..

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor