Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

What is the proper way to disassemble and clean my U.S. Army…

Customer Question
What is the proper...

What is the proper way to disassemble and clean my U.S. Army Model 1917, S & W D.A. 45?

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I have an S & W D.A. 45, U.S. Army Model 1917, serial number 107978 and all numbers match. It is pretty dirty and before I start firing it, I would like to clean it and then, keep it clean. I need to know the proper way to do this. Thanks

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

No, except, I have never done this before.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Firearms
1/6/2018
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor replied 1 month ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

Revolvers are fairly easy to clean and don't require disassembly as a rule. I suggest you purchase a gun cleaner called "CLP", which is also called "Break Free". It is a cleaner, lubricant, and protectant all in one. If you don't have any gun cleaning items, such as a brushes, a cleaning rod, cleaning patch, etc., I suggest you purchase a gun cleaning kit (Walmart or any gun store will have them in stock). The kit will have a brass bore brush, a cleaning rod, a patch holder, some patches, and possibly some gun cleaning fluids. Make sure the kit is for .45 caliber. You should also have a dry rag and some disposable thin rubber gloves (anytime I handle any chemicals, I use rubber gloves to keep the chemicals off my hands). Once you have the cleaning kit, the rag, rubber gloves, and the Break Free (CLP), open the gun's cylinder and:

1. Take a clean patch (should be 2 to 2.5 inches square) and put it on your cleaning brush using the patch holder. Soak the patch in Break Free and then run it back and forth 5 or 6 times through the gun's barrel.

2. Put a .45 caliber bore brush on the cleaning brush and push it carefully from the muzzle all the way through and then pull it back through the other way. Repeat the brushing 5 times. Do NOT reverse directions of the brush while it is inside the barrel, as that will break the tines on the brush (won't hurt the gun, through).

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the barrel is cleaned to your satisfaction. For a dirty gun that I just shot, usually 3 reps are all I need.

4. Now repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 for each of the six chambers in the cylinder.

5. Wet another clean patch in Break Free and wipe down all the remaining exposed metal on the gun. Since the gun is so dirty, you might also remove the grips and wipe down the metal under them, too. You won't have to do that again for a long time with normal use.

6. Now run a dry patch once in-and-out through the barrel and each chamber in the cylinder. By only doing running the dry patch through one time, it will leave a tiny coat of Break Free to protect the barrel and chambers against rust.

7. Using a dry rag, wipe off the rest of the metal so it is not oily. A thin coat will again be left behind to protect the metal. (Keep the rag and use it for this kind of operation in the future.)

8. As you remove the rubber gloves, they can now be used to hold the dirty patches so there is not any chemical smell when you discard the gloves with patches inside them into the trash.

You might want to use some paper towels on the work surface to keep it dry.

Guns don't need very much lubrication at all. Too much and the gun will attract dirt, dust, and lint. When you pick up your gun, you should not feel like you have to wash your hands because they feel greasy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Philip

To close this question, rate my answer using the star button provided - thanks!

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor