Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

Can .45 winchester colt be safely fired in a pietta

Customer Question
Can .45 winchester colt...

Can .45 winchester colt be safely fired in a pietta conversion....44 to .45

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Can .45 winchester colt be safely fired in a pietta conversion .44. to.45

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Ammunition is standard ammo for a ruger .45

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Firearms
1/2/2018
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 7 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

If you mean can 45 Colt ammunition be fired in your conversion it depends on what the cylinder is chambered for. Do you have a link to the conversion so I can check it?

Most 44 caliber black powder pistols have a .451 or .452 " bore which is what a 45 Colt round needs. It all depends on the cylinder itself.

The only 45 Winchester round is the 45 Magnum which is much to powerful for a conversion. There are very few guns chambered for it.

Tom

the conversion cylinder is a howell conversion

Is you gun the 1858 Reminton?

Tom

Assuming you gun is the 1858 Remington copy there are 2 conversion cylinders made by Howell for your gun. 1 is for 45 ACP (45 Auto) and the other is 45 Colt (also called 45 Long Colt) What can be fired in it depends on what cylinder you order or ordered. If you already have it a 45 ACP round head-spaces on the case mouth and the 45 Colt is a rimmed cartridge which head-spaces on the rim. A 45 Colt round will not fit in a 45 ACP and the 45 ACP will slide completely into the cylinder and down at least 1/4" from the rear of the cylinder.

The cylinder should be marked 45 ACP or 45 LC. They are different cartridges, there are only 2 Model revolvers that I know of that can use 45 ACP in a 45 Colt cylinder and they require "moon clips" to use the 45 auto.

Tom